Could someone check my work on this vector assignment question?

In summary, a person is asking for someone to check their work on a vector question for an upcoming assignment. The question involves calculating various components of initial and final velocity, time of flight, horizontal displacement, final vector velocity, and maximum height reached. They also provide a helpful link on how to properly format mathematical equations for easier reading.
Sullivan
Would anyone willing to check my work on this vector question?

I have an assignment due in a few days and was just wondering if someone could look over one of the questions from this assignment and see if I've done it correctly, as I still don't feel entirely confident with this yet.

So the question is: A baseball, thrown from the ground, lands on top of a building that is 15.5 m tall. If the ball is thrown at 22.0 m/s at an angle of 58.0° above the horizontal, find each of the following:

a) horizontal and vertical components of initial velocity

Vo= 22.0 m/s, so Voy=22sin(58)=18.7 m/s, and Vox=22cos(58)=11.7 m/s

b) final vertical velocity

Vfy^2=Voy^2+2AyΔXy
= 18.7^2 + 2(-9.8)(15)
= +/- sqrt(55.69)
Vfy = -7.46 m/s

c) time of flight

a=v/t therefore t=v/a
t= -7.46-18.7/-9.8
t= 2.67s

d) horizontal displacement

ΔXx=Vox*t+(1/2*Ax*t^2)
=11.7*2.67+0
ΔXx=31.2m

e) final vector velocity (HINT: Use both vertical and horizontal components)

Vf^2 = Vfy^2+Vfx^2
Vf=-13.88 m/s

f) maximum height reached above the ground
Set Vfy=0
-Voy^2/2Ay=ΔXy
-(18.7^2)/(2*-9.8)=ΔXy
17.8m=ΔXy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Could someone check my work on this vector assignment question?

1. What is a vector assignment question?

A vector assignment question is a question that involves working with vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These questions typically require knowledge of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.

2. Why would someone need their work checked on a vector assignment question?

Having someone check your work on a vector assignment question can help you identify any errors or mistakes you may have made. It also allows you to receive feedback and improve your understanding of vector concepts.

3. Who can check my work on a vector assignment question?

Ideally, someone with knowledge and experience in working with vectors, such as a teacher or tutor, should check your work. You can also ask a classmate or friend who is confident in their understanding of vectors.

4. What should I include when asking someone to check my work on a vector assignment question?

When asking someone to check your work, it is helpful to provide them with your solution, as well as the given question and any relevant information or formulas. This allows the person to have a clear understanding of the problem and your approach to solving it.

5. How can I ensure that my work on a vector assignment question is accurate?

The best way to ensure accuracy is to double-check your work before asking someone to review it. Make sure you have correctly applied vector operations and have shown all necessary steps. You can also use online resources or textbooks to compare your solution to the correct answer.