Could packet round-trip times be an analog to qubits?

In summary: No-Cloning Theorem". You can't copy a quantum state, hence you can't eavesdrop.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of implementing a pseudo-quantum cryptography algorithm without quantum computers and the potential hindrance of Bell's Inequality. The idea of using packet round-trip times as an analog to qubits is also mentioned, and the conversation concludes with the explanation of the "No-Cloning Theorem" and its impact on cryptography.
MerryMoose
I'm a programmer who is trying to figure out if there is any possible way to implement a pseudo-quantum cryptography algorithm without quantum computers, or is Bell's Inequality something that is going to get in the way of that goal? Or if I am anywhere in the ballpark. I wouldn't be surprised if I were way off on everything.

The reason I'm looking at packet round-trip times is because it seems like an analog to a qubit. It doesn't have a certain value until you measure it.

This may be good for cryptography since an eavesdropping party couldn't measure it and see what you would see, and the eavesdropping would affect the value you end up with. For example, the owner of megaupload figured out that authorities were eavesdropping on his internet connection due to a decline in his connections performance, he then noticed an extra hop when running a trace route.

Compromised computers or routers on a local network could do similar things and not be nearly as noticeable. It still takes a cpu tick to process, it could be almost impossible to notice or measure in that circumstance, but it still changes the round-trip time, a very subtle change.

Oh and this is my first post here. Hello :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
MerryMoose said:
The reason I'm looking at packet round-trip times is because it seems like an analog to a qubit. It doesn't have a certain value until you measure it.

It is not the same thing. The fact that a qubit can be in a superposition of 0 and 1 has nothing as such to do with measurements, it simply means that it is in state which does not have a classical analouge. It has nothing to do with our inability to measure it.

This may be good for cryptography since an eavesdropping party couldn't measure it and see what you would see, and the eavesdropping would affect the value you end up with.

There are many ways one could eavesdrop on a classical connection, both in theory and practice. Anyone with physical access to the cables could just eavesdrop on the lines directly by putting current clamps around the wires in an electrical cable, or insert a splitter if it is a fibre.
[/quote]

Hence, your method does nothing to prevent someone from a "physical" attack where someone can directly access your physical connection, whereas QC does.

Oh and this is my first post here. Hello :-)

Hello. Welcome to PF :-p

MerryMoose said:
I'm a programmer who is trying to figure out if there is any possible way to implement a pseudo-quantum cryptography algorithm without quantum computers, or is Bell's Inequality something that is going to get in the way of that goal?

No. That's the point. See Gilder's Age of Entanglement. Bell's Theorem shows that there is "No Way" to duplicate the features of QM in a "Local Real" Cryptographic Setting:

"So it happened that Eckert, in the quiet of Clarendon's library, sat back in shock when he read for the first time the famous EPR definition of "an element of reality: if, without in any way disturbing a system, we can predict with certainty the value of a physical quantity, then there exists an element of reality corresponding to this physical quantity. "It just clicked in my brain: wow - this is about eavesdropping!"...
""Local Realism", Eckert realized, "allows you somehow to incorporate the definition of perfect eavesdropping into the formulation: "Ha! - but I know it was refuted!" An entangled code would be an un-eavesdroppable code..."

AoE, p. 314.

CW

Related to Could packet round-trip times be an analog to qubits?

1. How are packet round-trip times related to qubits?

Packet round-trip times are a measure of how long it takes for a data packet to travel from one point to another and back again. Qubits, on the other hand, are the basic unit of quantum information. While they may seem unrelated, some researchers have proposed that packet round-trip times could be used as an analog to qubits in certain quantum computing applications.

2. Can packet round-trip times accurately represent qubits?

While packet round-trip times may have some similarities to qubits, they are not an exact representation. Qubits have unique properties such as superposition and entanglement that cannot be fully replicated by packet round-trip times. However, for certain applications, they may be a useful approximation.

3. What are the potential advantages of using packet round-trip times as an analog to qubits?

One potential advantage is that packet round-trip times are already widely used and well understood in the field of networking. This could make it easier for researchers to build upon existing technologies and infrastructure to develop new quantum computing systems. Additionally, using packet round-trip times could potentially reduce the need for specialized hardware, making quantum computing more accessible.

4. Are there any limitations to using packet round-trip times as an analog to qubits?

Yes, there are several limitations to consider. As mentioned earlier, packet round-trip times cannot fully replicate the properties of qubits, which may limit their use in certain applications. Additionally, the accuracy of the analog representation may be affected by factors such as network congestion and packet loss. Furthermore, the scalability of this approach is still being explored and may be limited compared to traditional qubit-based systems.

5. What research is currently being done on using packet round-trip times as an analog to qubits?

There are ongoing studies and experiments being conducted to explore the potential of using packet round-trip times as an analog to qubits. Some researchers are looking at using existing network infrastructure, such as fiber optic cables, to create quantum networks. Others are exploring the use of specialized hardware and protocols to enhance the accuracy and scalability of this approach. However, further research and development are still needed before this concept can be fully realized.