Could my I.R lowpass goggles work without using light from the sun?

In summary, the speaker is planning to construct goggles based on a YouTube tutorial to investigate the I.R Lowpass or Near Infrared spectrum. They are wondering if the goggles will work with light other than sunlight and plan to test it by creating a stage setting with different colored objects and shining light from multiple lamps. They also mention that this may not be the appropriate forum for their question and ask for help moving it to a different section. Another person responds by mentioning that the goggles will work with any white light, but are not actually infrared filters.
The riddler
For this science project I'm doing, i am going to be investigating the I.R Lowpass (a.k.a: Near infrared spectrum) with goggles i shall soon be constructing based on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-nP2xl9Zg&feature=player_embedded"

This question may be a bit silly but will my goggles work with light other than sun light, my plan is to create a small stage setting with different objects of different colours and then shine the light from multiple lamps on it so i can note any differences in colour caused by the I.R lowpass.

Thanks for any replies :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've relized this is probably not the write place for this question. Does anyone know how i can move it to a different section of the forum?

These aren't infrared. They just block most colors, you can buy deep purple filters that photographers use to estimate what a monochrome shot will look like.

They will 'work' with any white light,

Thanks

I can say that your I.R lowpass goggles should work without using light from the sun. Infrared light is present in the environment from various sources, not just the sun. In fact, objects emit infrared radiation based on their temperature, so any object in your stage setting will emit infrared light that can be detected by your goggles. Additionally, you can use artificial light sources such as lamps to produce infrared light for your experiment. The key is to make sure that your goggles are designed to detect infrared light and have a suitable wavelength range. It is also important to calibrate your experiment to ensure accurate results. I hope this helps and I wish you success with your project!

Related to Could my I.R lowpass goggles work without using light from the sun?

1. Can I use my I.R lowpass goggles in complete darkness?

It is possible for I.R lowpass goggles to work in complete darkness, but it depends on the type of technology used in the goggles. Some may require a small amount of ambient light in order to function properly, while others may be designed to work in complete darkness.

2. How do I know if my I.R lowpass goggles will work without sunlight?

You can check the product specifications or consult with the manufacturer to determine if your I.R lowpass goggles are designed to work without sunlight. In general, goggles with more advanced technology and higher sensitivity are more likely to work without sunlight.

3. What other sources of light can my I.R lowpass goggles use?

I.R lowpass goggles are designed to use the infrared spectrum of light, so they can work with any source of infrared light such as heat emitted from objects or artificial infrared light sources. However, the effectiveness may vary depending on the strength and wavelength of the infrared light.

4. Will my I.R lowpass goggles work in low light conditions?

Yes, I.R lowpass goggles are designed to work in low light conditions. They are specifically designed to amplify and enhance the faint infrared light emitted by objects, making them visible to the human eye even in low light situations.

5. Can I use my I.R lowpass goggles during the day?

I.R lowpass goggles are not recommended for use during the day as they are designed to work with infrared light, which is not present in daylight. The bright sunlight can also interfere with the functionality of the goggles and may cause damage to the lenses.