Could mixing light wavelengths effect absorption, and emissi

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a mixture of electromagnetic radiation, particularly red light, to make solid objects translucent. The idea is to excite the electrons in the object to higher shell levels, and then use red light to potentially allow the light to pass through without being absorbed. However, the feasibility of this experiment is uncertain and requires further study.
memoryerasure1
-ion process.
The electron when hit by light moves to a higher shell level very briefly, to either shell 1, or 2 depending on the energy of the light wavelength.
So because you mixed any EM radiation, with red light which has the lowest energy, could when light, or other EM waves gets absorbed, and the electron moves to a higher shell level, if then say the red light that was mixed with the EM wave then hits the electron while the electron is TEMPORARILY in shell 1, or shell 2.
Would there be not enough energy to excite the electron to a higher state, and would transmission of the electron occur, thus making the a SOLID object translucent a bit say 5% translucent.
Would it work do you think, you could mix the red light with any EM wavelength UV, X-rays whatever works best, but the second mixture of light, it would have to be red light, to make the object transparent, so we could see through it.
Could it work do you think.
Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Dr Du,
Thank you so much for your reply, you help means a lot to me.
Forgot to mention that you could either mix the red light with the lowest wavelength as one beam, with any EM radiation, whatever works best to excite the electron to the higher shell level you want.
Or you could sent the red light in timed millisecond bursts, just as the electron goes to a higher shell level briefly.
Then while the electron is in the shell 2, 3, or 4 levels you the hit the electron with the red light in a timed millisecond burst, and in my mind the electron MAY transmission past the electron, because it does not have the energy to excite the electron to a higher energy level, or shell level.
While the electron is in higher shell levels 1, 2, 3, 4, or maybe more depending on the element, it MAY have energy levels that do not excite red light which has the lowest wavelength, this is all my theory though, it could be incorrect, I am not a expert, at optics, and materials.
Kind of like the electrons in glass work, and in water molecules, transparent plastics.
Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking. Sorry if this isn't what you were hoping for, but here's my take.

memoryerasure1 said:
Would there be not enough energy to excite the electron to a higher state, and would transmission of the electron occur, thus making the a SOLID object translucent a bit say 5% translucent.

No. The electrons can't skip two shells forward in one transition because of selection rules. When the barriers separating the shells of adjacent atoms are low, you get conductors (materials with conduction bands), not transparent materials. In fact, if the atom gets excited from red light, then you know it can't be transparent because it has a scattering resonance in the visible spectrum. The reason you can't detect a bulk flow of electrons is because of other interactions, like thermal fluctuations (a.k.a. two neighboring atoms smacking into each other), causing electrons to de-excite emitting photons in random directions. Even at absolute zero you still have vacuum fluctations, which mean you have to go a lot faster than a millisecond (probably on the picosecond scale, depending on the atom).

If I misunderstood your question, and what you were really asking about is whether you could use a light shift to achieve higher order transitions than normal, the answer is still no because the selection rules don't change, and in any event you would probably end up using such a powerful light shift that you'd put a massive dipole force on the atoms and wind up with some funky thermalized (and damped) atoms.

Thank you for your reply, you could move the electron to higher shell levels with more intensity light, or other EM waves.
But while the electron is in the shell levels briefly, of 1, 2, 3, 4, or more.
Imagine a four inch cubic block of carbon.
There has to be energy levels of electrons that do not excite light in carbon, if in glass is made from silicon, sodium, and calcium, these elements have more protons, neutrons, and electrons, than carbon.
You could say it is harder to make a object like glass transparent to light, because it has more energy levels, protons, neutrons, and electrons in its elements than carbon.
Both amorphous, as well.
Could the RED light transmission the electron,or get past the electron to illuminate the block of carbon, and make the first couple of microns translucent by 2%.
Kind of like how glass is transparent to light.

I'm not sure I understand the experiment you're describing.

Are you asking if you can make a material transmit more light of a certain wavelength by exciting a good percentage of the atoms to a higher state with high intensity light? If you could get a sufficient population inversion (easier said than done), I don't see why not.

while the electron is in the shell levels briefly, of 1, 2, 3, 4, or more after being excited by any em(electro magnetic) radiation.
Then either mix any em radiation with red light, or send the RED light to the electron while the electron is in these higher shell orbitals, and MAYBE the electrons will not absorb, and just transmission the RED light.
Like how light works in glass, which is made from silicon, sodium, and calcium.
If there are shell levels in these elements that do not excite light, then is has to work in other elements.
Maybe there is something I am missing like its the molecular bonding of silicon, sodium, and calcium that creates the energy levels in eV that does not excite light.
And transmission of light cannot happen in other elements like carbon.
Thank you for your help, your help means a lot to me.

Thanks to everyone for their answers

Related to Could mixing light wavelengths effect absorption, and emissi

1. How does mixing light wavelengths affect absorption and emission?

Mixing light wavelengths can affect absorption and emission in several ways. When two or more wavelengths of light intersect, they can either constructively or destructively interfere with each other, leading to changes in the overall energy level of the light. This can impact the absorption and emission properties of a material, potentially influencing its color or fluorescence.

2. Can mixing light wavelengths change the absorption spectrum of a material?

Yes, mixing light wavelengths can change the absorption spectrum of a material. When different wavelengths of light are combined, they can result in a new absorption spectrum that differs from the individual spectra of the component wavelengths. This can be seen in phenomena such as color mixing and the creation of new colors.

3. Is absorption always affected by the combination of light wavelengths?

Yes, absorption is always affected by the combination of light wavelengths. The specific impact on absorption will depend on the properties of the material and the wavelengths involved, but any time multiple wavelengths of light interact with a material, there will be changes in its absorption properties.

4. Can mixing light wavelengths affect the emission of a material in different ways?

Yes, mixing light wavelengths can affect the emission of a material in different ways. The resulting emission spectrum can be influenced by factors such as the relative intensities and wavelengths of the component light, as well as the properties of the material itself. This can lead to changes in the overall color or brightness of the emitted light.

5. How can the effects of mixing light wavelengths on absorption and emission be studied?

The effects of mixing light wavelengths on absorption and emission can be studied through a variety of experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy and fluorescence microscopy. These methods allow scientists to measure the absorption and emission properties of materials under different conditions, including when exposed to mixed wavelengths of light. Computational simulations can also be used to model and predict the effects of light mixing on absorption and emission.