Could I handle Computer Engineering?

In summary: Physicist: Diff eq isn't too difficult, but it does take putting time into it.In summary, computer engineering and/or computer science have both interested me greatly. I'm fairly certain that I want to pursue in one of these fields in the future. Though, I've heard that CE requires you take some match classes that are quite difficult. It's not that I dislike math, as a matter of fact it's pretty fun. But I've always been somewhat "average" at math. Average SAT scores, average grades (though I never studied). I don't know if I could handle the math/physics classes required of me for CE. Would you recommend CE to someone who isn't the BEST at math?
Bake
Computer Engineering and/or Computer Science have both interested me greatly. I'm fairly certain that I want to pursue in one of these fields in the future. Though, I've heard that CE requires you take some match classes that are quite difficult. It's not that I dislike math, as a matter of fact it's pretty fun. But I've always been somewhat "average" at math. Average SAT scores, average grades (though I never studied). I don't know if I could handle the math/physics classes required of me for CE. Would you recommend CE to someone who isn't the BEST at math? I see various threads about CE vs CS. I'm pretty sure I'd rather do CE. The thing I'm worried about is whether I could handle it. I was an A-C student depending on my laziness level. (I'm a unhealthily lazy person). Sorry if I was redundant. Any tips appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you willing to work hard? If the answer is yes, then yes you can.

axmls said:
Are you willing to work hard? If the answer is yes, then yes you can.
I'd assume so, but I'd be willing to work hard if I know I wouldn't end up behind or struggling compared to those who are also working hard.

Just because you're not the best at math now doesn't mean you can't improve. If you want to go into CE, you need to be willing to put in the time and effort.

Likes Bake
Bake said:
Though, I've heard that CE requires you take some match classes that are quite difficult.
The math requirements for CS and CE vary by university. Usually the only extra math class required by CE is differential equations. In some universities the math requirements for both programs are the same.

Jaeusm said:
The math requirements for CS and CE vary by university. Usually the only extra math class required by CE is differential equations. In some universities the math requirements for both programs are the same.
Isn't diff eq considered quite difficult?

vela said:
Just because you're not the best at math now doesn't mean you can't improve. If you want to go into CE, you need to be willing to put in the time and effort.
Slight motivation I needed, hopefully I can take it mentally and emotionally. Then again, I hear all engineers live off of coffee and motivation.

Bake said:
Isn't diff eq considered quite difficult?
I don't think so, but opinions vary.

As someone who isn't exactly the best at school/math and currently trying to major in bioengineering. I got better at math, I started from the bottom with algebra and now I'm doing integral calculus. Math isn't too difficult, but it does take putting time into it. Physics on the other hand is another beast for me. ?:)

I really just started on physics this semester with engineering/science physics, not sure if I'd say it was a mistake starting off there, but it's been challenging for me. And I've been pretty busy between physics, calculus and chemistry.

Related to Could I handle Computer Engineering?

1. What skills do I need to have to handle computer engineering?

To handle computer engineering, you need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong background in mathematics and science. Additionally, having good communication and teamwork skills is important for collaborating with other engineers and professionals.

2. Is computer engineering a difficult field to handle?

Like any field, computer engineering can be challenging and requires dedication and hard work. However, with a strong interest and passion for technology, and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new advancements, anyone can handle computer engineering successfully.

3. Will I need to have coding experience to handle computer engineering?

While having coding experience can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to handle computer engineering. Many computer engineering programs offer introductory courses in coding to help students build their skills. Additionally, there are many resources available online for beginners to learn coding languages.

4. What career opportunities are available for computer engineers?

Computer engineering is a growing field, and there are various career opportunities available. Some common job roles for computer engineers include software engineer, hardware engineer, network engineer, and systems analyst. Additionally, with the rise of technology, there are constantly emerging roles in various industries for computer engineers.

5. Can I handle computer engineering if I have no prior experience?

Yes, you can handle computer engineering even if you have no prior experience. Many computer engineering programs offer introductory courses and resources for beginners to learn and build their skills. It is important to have a strong interest and motivation to learn and continuously challenge yourself in this field.