Could Gravitons Be the Missing Link to Understanding Dark Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between gravitons and dark matter, and whether free-floating gravitons could potentially be the cause of dark matter. However, it is clarified that gravitons are not expected to be concentrated inside hadrons and that dark matter, if understood as a WIMP, does have a mass and can be detected through collisions. It is also noted that gravitons are currently only understood perturbatively and may not be able to clump in the same way as dark matter.
Vons
Hey guys, I was just pondering the idea of dark matter and a thought crossed my mind.

I may be entirely off, but a few connections can be made between gravitons and dark matter. Neither can be detected directly with any classical methods (EM, pressure, etc..), and dark matter has no apparent "mass", for its mass is attributed to the excess of gravitational force in galaxies. Perhaps free-floating gravitons that are concentrated around galaxies and are undetectable a possible suspect for dark matter? I know that, theoretically, gravitons are supposed to be contained in hadrons, but perhaps a large amount of them were not bonded with matter during the big bang?

Is this even possible?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Vons said:
I know that, theoretically, gravitons are supposed to be contained in hadrons, but perhaps a large amount of them were not bonded with matter during the big bang?
I think you've misread something along the way. Gravitons are not expected to be concentrated inside hadrons.

Dark matter, if understood as a WIMP, does have a mass, and can be detected 'classically' by looking for collisions between dark matter particles and those in liquid detectors. WIMPs of the right mass and interaction strength do well to explain the phenomenology of galaxy rotation curves, CMB oscillations, and structure formation.

Gravitons are massless, and are currently only understood in GR perturbatively (as gravitational waves). It's not clear how a relativistic species like gravitons might clump in the way cold dark matter does. In other words, whatever is comprising the cold dark matter of the universe, it is gravitationally unstable (it forms clumps). Gravitons move at the speed of light and would simply flow out of overdensities.

Thank you for clearing that up mate. It seems I have misread something.

Related to Could Gravitons Be the Missing Link to Understanding Dark Matter?

1. What is the Graviton Link to Dark Matter?

The Graviton Link to Dark Matter is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests that gravitons, the hypothetical particles that transmit the force of gravity, could also be responsible for the effects of dark matter.

2. How does the Graviton Link to Dark Matter relate to current theories of dark matter?

The Graviton Link to Dark Matter is still a highly debated and unproven idea, and it is not currently supported by any widely accepted theories of dark matter. However, some scientists believe that it could potentially provide a new explanation for the mysterious substance.

3. How would the Graviton Link to Dark Matter be tested or proven?

There are currently no experimental methods to directly test the Graviton Link to Dark Matter. However, scientists are conducting experiments and simulations to try to detect gravitons and better understand their properties and potential connection to dark matter.

4. What are the implications of the Graviton Link to Dark Matter if it is proven to be true?

If the Graviton Link to Dark Matter is proven to be true, it would drastically change our understanding of the universe and the role of gravity in shaping it. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and applications in the future.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or challenges to the Graviton Link to Dark Matter theory?

As with any new scientific theory, there are some potential challenges and drawbacks to the Graviton Link to Dark Matter. For example, it may be difficult to reconcile with current theories and observations of dark matter, and it may require further advancements in technology to be fully tested and understood.