Could anything else cause redshift?

In summary: This is why you can't see the lines of elements changing color in a spectrum taken of a star as it ages- the lines have all shifted down a bit, but the energy levels are still there."
A Janitor
I know about cosmic expansion, but I was just curious, could the observations of redshift be caused because space is cooling, not expanding.

From what I understand, as things cool they redshift.

If the universe started cooling after the big bang, wouldn't everything we saw from the early universe be redshifting?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
A Janitor said:

That's not the case. Spectral lines don't move with temperature.

Since it is possible to redshift light with gravity, why do we think the universe is expanding just because we see redshift in distant galaxies. Couldn't the redshift be caused by all the gravity between us and the distant galaxy? Is there other evidence that the universe is expanding?

I think it's a good question, as there's usually more explanation on this topic than there is understanding.

The Big Bang model predict cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR). The predicted CMBR has been found.

A Janitor said:
I know about cosmic expansion, but I was just curious, could the observations of redshift be caused because space is cooling, not expanding.

If the universe started cooling after the big bang, wouldn't everything we saw from the early universe be redshifting?

See the thread on Curvature Cosmology for a possible alternative.
Regards
David

really said:
Since it is possible to redshift light with gravity, why do we think the universe is expanding just because we see redshift in distant galaxies. Couldn't the redshift be caused by all the gravity between us and the distant galaxy? Is there other evidence that the universe is expanding?
The light isn't going away from a large source of gravity, it is just going through space, passing many sources of gravity. It'll be blueshifted and redshifted and overall end up about what it was when emitted (if the universe is static and the mass roughly uniform).

Vanadium 50 said:
That's not the case. Spectral lines don't move with temperature.

Cooler objects apear red, hot objects appear blue, wouldn't a cooling object be turning redder? Isn't that the definition of redshift? Shifting towards red light? Isn't that how we can tell that certain stars are hotter then others?

I could be wrong, but I can't find anything that says otherwise. If you can cite something that specifically states that temp doesn't effect light that would be very helpful.

A Janitor said:
Cooler objects apear red, hot objects appear blue, wouldn't a cooling object be turning redder? Isn't that the definition of redshift? Shifting towards red light? Isn't that how we can tell that certain stars are hotter then others?

I could be wrong, but I can't find anything that says otherwise. If you can cite something that specifically states that temp doesn't effect light that would be very helpful.

In particular, what we actually see shifting is spectral absorption or emission lines. These lines happen at a very well defined wavelength, which is INDEPENDENT of temperature! So when we see them systematically redshifted, it's a good bet that they're receeding.

There is some truth in the statement that cooler objects appear redder. This is because of the black body spectrum curve, which, for lower temperatures, peaks at lower wavelengths. But either in a 40000K star or a 4000K, the h-alpha line is still going to be at 656nm, regardless of the surrounding black body curve.

A Janitor said:

To illustrate what Nabeshin is talking about, check out the attached image. It shows an un shifted and shifted spectrum. The bright lines are the emission lines for an element. Note how they move towards the red end in the bottom, shifted spectrum.

Reddening of the light due to cooling would result in the spectrum being dimmer at the blue end, and thus looking redder overall, but the emission lines would stay where they were.

Attachments

• spectrum.gif
    spectrum.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 496
Thank you, I think I understand the difference now. Glad I posted ;)

Although all the answers here were very good, I think this one from Yahoo was also good and thought I would add it for completion.

"
I think you are confusing things like the red giant portion of a star's life cycle with the Doppler effect, which is a different issue. When a star grows cooler, it is true that its color fades into the red end of the visible spectrum. But the individual discrete spectral lines that represent the energy changes within each element remain fixed. The red ones become more prominent (more low energy red photons, fewer high energy blue photons) as the temperature changes, but the signature frequency of the individual lines for each element do not change.

When a Doppler redshift occurs due to recession, the entire spectrum changes - so a specific element that was characterized by a discrete and identifiable pair of lines in the green portion of the spectrum can now be found - looking identical, but shifted into the red portion of the spectrum. The whole spectrum then looks like a similar star that shows no relative motion, but the entire set of spectral lines is shifted downward in frequency. That's different than the simple change in the nature (amplitude) of individual photon wavelengths characterized by cooling.
"

Related to Could anything else cause redshift?

1. What is redshift and why is it important?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which light from a distant object appears shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This effect is caused by the expansion of the universe, where the space between objects is stretching and causing the light to appear to have a longer wavelength. Redshift is important because it provides evidence for the expanding universe and helps us understand the origin and evolution of the universe.

2. Can redshift be caused by anything other than the expansion of the universe?

There are a few other phenomena that can cause redshift, such as the Doppler effect, gravitational redshift, and the cosmological redshift. However, these effects are much smaller and can be distinguished from the redshift caused by the expansion of the universe using various observational techniques.

3. How do scientists measure redshift?

Redshift is measured using a spectrometer, which separates the different wavelengths of light. By comparing the wavelengths of light emitted by an object to the known wavelengths of certain elements, scientists can determine the amount of redshift and calculate the object's distance and velocity.

4. Can redshift be used to determine the age of the universe?

Yes, redshift is an important tool in determining the age of the universe. By measuring the redshift of distant objects and using the known rate of expansion of the universe, scientists can estimate the age of the universe to be around 13.8 billion years.

5. Is there a limit to how much redshift an object can have?

Yes, there is a limit to how much redshift an object can have. This limit is known as the Hubble limit, and it is caused by the speed of light. Objects that are beyond the Hubble limit cannot be observed because the light emitted from them is moving away from us faster than the speed of light, making it impossible for us to see them.