Could all supermassive objects in the center of galaxies be SGR's post mortem?

In summary: SGRs) which are highly magnetized neutron stars. In summary, the supermassive object in the center of the Milkyway is unlikely to be a SGR post mortem, as the maximum mass for neutron stars cannot support its mass. Additionally, its behavior and location are not consistent with known SGRs, and it is more likely to be a different type of object such as a supermassive X-ray pulsar. Theories of neutron star collisions do not apply in this case.
kmarinas86
Could the supermassive object in the Milkyway be a SGR post mortem?

I tried to fix the title (I realized it contradicts what I posted), but I couldn't (retarded is that.), and I can't even delete my own thread, so here's the new title:

Could the supermassive object in the Milkyway be a SGR post mortem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetar#Short_lifetime

Short lifetime

In the outer layers of a magnetar, which consist of a plasma of heavy elements (mostly iron), tensions can arise that lead to 'starquakes'. These seismic vibrations are extremely energetic, and result in a burst of X-ray and gamma ray radiation. To astronomers, such an object is known as a soft gamma repeater.

The life of a magnetar as a soft gamma repeater is short: Starquakes cause large ejections of energy, and matter. The matter is held in the strong magnetic field, and evaporates in minutes. Radial ejection of matter carries away angular momentum which slows the rotation. Magnetars lose rotational speed at a higher rate than other neutron stars, attributed to their high magnetic field. Slowdown weakens the magnetic field, and after only about 10,000 years the starquakes cease. After this, the star still radiates X-rays, and astronomers conjecture it forms an anomalous X-ray pulsar. After another 10,000 years, it becomes completely quiet. Starquakes are blockbuster detonations and some have been directly recorded, such as that at SGR 1806-20 on December 27, 2004, and more are expected to be recorded as telescopes increase in fidelity.

Is it possible that the supermassive object in the center of the milkyway (http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2002/pr-17-02.html ) is really a dead object that was once a really huge soft gamma repeater in the Quasar stage?

Could Seyfert galaxies possesses supermassive X-ray pulsars in the center?

Neutron Star Collision Theories:
http://haydenplanetarium.org/hp/vo/ava/avapages/S0606neutcoll.html

Attachments

• tn_S0606neutcoll.jpg
    tn_S0606neutcoll.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 415
Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Pulsars and soft gamma-ray repeaters are neutron stars -- i.e. ~10 km sized objects supported with neutron degeneracy pressure. There's no way, with current theory, to produce a neutron star as massive as the object at the center of our galaxy. It just couldn't support itself from gravity. Maximum masses for neutron stars are expected to be around ~1.5-5 solar masses, not three million.

Also, your link at the bottom refers to colliding neutron stars, which is a possible mechanism for gamma-ray bursts, different from soft gamma-ray repeaters

Related to Could all supermassive objects in the center of galaxies be SGR's post mortem?

1. What are SGRs and how do they relate to supermassive objects in the center of galaxies?

SGRs, or Soft Gamma Repeaters, are a type of highly magnetized neutron star that emit short bursts of gamma rays. Some theories suggest that supermassive objects in the center of galaxies, such as black holes, could be the remnants of SGRs that have died and collapsed.

2. How do we know that SGRs could potentially evolve into supermassive objects?

There is currently no conclusive evidence that all SGRs will eventually become supermassive objects. However, some scientists have proposed this theory based on observations of SGRs and their similarities to other massive objects in the universe.

3. Can supermassive objects in the center of galaxies be formed through other means?

While the postmortem SGR theory is a possibility, there are other theories that suggest supermassive objects could be formed through other processes, such as the merging of smaller objects or accretion of matter over time.

4. How could we gather more evidence to support the SGR postmortem theory?

In order to gather more evidence for this theory, scientists would need to study a larger sample of SGRs and their properties. This could include observing their gamma ray emissions, studying their magnetic fields, and looking for other signs of a potential collapse into a supermassive object.

5. What implications could the SGR postmortem theory have on our understanding of galaxy formation?

If proven to be true, the SGR postmortem theory could significantly impact our understanding of how galaxies and their central supermassive objects form. It could also provide insights into the role of neutron stars in the evolution of the universe.