Could a Swallowed Moon Explain Uranus's Tilt and Magnetic Field?

• Thread starter YoungDreamer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranus
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Uranus's tilt and off-centered magnetic field being the result of a collision with a large moon or planetoid. The idea is considered plausible due to the history of collisions between planets and the fact that our own Earth was formed from two larger planets colliding. However, it is also noted that the magnetic field can be generated without the presence of an iron core, making the collision theory not a complete explanation.
YoungDreamer
I have just finished reading Cosmos by Giles Sparrow and after reading about the odd features of Uranus I have been thinking about it and was wondering...

Could Uranus's tilt and off-centered magnetic field be the result of a large moon or planetoid that was "swallowed" by the planet.

It is thought that the tilt is related to a large collision, but if Uranus is mostly gas and liquid then what if a moon or planetoid with a large iron core and its own magnetic field fell into Uranus?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I suppose its possible. I'm not sure there's any real way to tell unless you do some serious computer models.

It's not improbable because it does make sense. There were many collisions between many planets and asteroids. Our own Earth was made from two larger planets colliding, knowing that, it makes sense that Uranus would be hit by a planetoid or moon with a large iron core and so would give Uranus its tilt.

Allojubrious said:
It's not improbable because it does make sense. There were many collisions between many planets and asteroids. Our own Earth was made from two larger planets colliding, knowing that, it makes sense that Uranus would be hit by a planetoid or moon with a large iron core and so would give Uranus its tilt.

Are you reading my sig? I think I need to color that or something lol...

YoungDreamer said:
I have just finished reading Cosmos by Giles Sparrow and after reading about the odd features of Uranus I have been thinking about it and was wondering...

Could Uranus's tilt and off-centered magnetic field be the result of a large moon or planetoid that was "swallowed" by the planet.

It is thought that the tilt is related to a large collision, but if Uranus is mostly gas and liquid then what if a moon or planetoid with a large iron core and its own magnetic field fell into Uranus?

The off centre field is probably due to the field being generated in a conducting layer away from the core itself. Neptune's field does something similar. The magnetic field doesn't need an iron core to be generated, just moving charges and sufficient conductivity.

Doesn't mean the collision you describe didn't happen, but it's not an explanation for the field.

Related to Could a Swallowed Moon Explain Uranus's Tilt and Magnetic Field?

1. What are the physical characteristics of Uranus?

Uranus is the seventh planet from the Sun and is known for its unique blue-green color. It is the third-largest planet in our solar system and has a diameter of 31,518 miles. It also has a tilted axis, which causes it to rotate on its side.

2. What is the composition of Uranus?

Uranus is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium gas, similar to the gas giants Jupiter and Saturn. However, it also has a large amount of ice, including water, methane, and ammonia. The core of Uranus is believed to be made up of rock and ice.

3. How many moons does Uranus have?

Uranus has 27 known moons, the largest of which is named Titania. The other notable moons include Oberon, Umbriel, Ariel, and Miranda. These moons were discovered by William Herschel in 1787.

4. What is the atmosphere like on Uranus?

The atmosphere on Uranus is mostly made up of hydrogen and helium gas, with small amounts of methane. The methane gives Uranus its blue-green color. The atmospheric pressure on Uranus is much higher than on Earth, and it also experiences strong winds, reaching speeds of up to 560 miles per hour.

5. Can we see Uranus with the naked eye?

Yes, Uranus can be seen with the naked eye under ideal conditions. However, due to its distance from Earth and its dim appearance, it is often difficult to spot. It is best viewed with a telescope, and its location can be found using star charts or astronomy apps.