Could a planet have liquid water without an atmosphere?

In summary: So, while it is theoretically possible for a planet to have oceans of liquid water without an atmosphere, it is not likely to happen without the presence of intelligent life.
bluemoonKY
I once knew both how atmospheres formed on planets and how oceans of liquid water formed on planets, but I have forgotten that information. I know that both atmospheres and oceans of liquid water formed due to chemical reactions, but I used to know more of the details of what type of matters formed oceans and atmospheres. Since I no longer know the details, I no longer know whether or not it would be possible for planets to have oceans of liquid water without an atmosphere of oxygen and other elements that make up air. I no longer know if water and an atmosphere must necessarily go together.

For the purposes of my question, I'm asking if a planet could have liquid water without any intelligent life bringing the liquid water to the planet and without an atmosphere.

Without any intelligent life bringing liquid water to a planet, could a planet have large oceans of liquid water without an atmosphere? Please explain your answers.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
bluemoonKY said:
Without any intelligent life bringing liquid water to a planet, could a planet have large oceans of liquid water without an atmosphere? Please explain your answers.
Please post your sources that suggest that this is possible. Members, please allow the member to post his sources from his research. Thank you.

Evo, if I knew that it was possible for planets to have liquid water without an atmosphere, why would I be asking the question?!

bluemoonKY said:
Evo, if I knew that it was possible for planets to have liquid water without an atmosphere, why would I be asking the question?!
What research have you done to aid our members in answering you?

Evo, my source on both how the oceans on Earth formed and how the atmosphere of Earth formed, was either one of many different popular science books or it was from Carl Sagan's Cosmos tv series. I'm thinking maybe I got such information from either Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time or one of Hawking's other books.

Here is a brief explanation of how the Earth's atmosphere formed:
When Earth formed 4.6 billion years ago from a hot mix of gases and solids, it had almost no atmosphere. The surface was molten. As Earth cooled, an atmosphere formed mainly from gases spewed from volcanoes. It included hydrogen sulfide, methane, and ten to 200 times as much carbon dioxide as today’s atmosphere. After about half a billion years, Earth’s surface cooled and solidified enough for water to collect on it.
http://forces.si.edu/atmosphere/02_02_01.html

Water was thought to be present in the material that formed the planet, was spewed into the atmosphere by volcanic activity, and condensed into oceans after the planet cooled. Early Earth's atmosphere did not have any oxygen, and oxygen appeared in the atmosphere only after life had appeared and evolved the ability to perform photosynthesis (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/origin-of-oxygen-in-atmosphere/).

Likes Fervent Freyja and bluemoonKY

Related to Could a planet have liquid water without an atmosphere?

1. Can a planet have liquid water without an atmosphere?

Yes, it is possible for a planet to have liquid water without an atmosphere. This is because liquid water can exist under certain conditions, such as a specific range of temperature and pressure, even without an atmosphere.

2. What is the role of atmosphere in maintaining liquid water on a planet?

An atmosphere plays a crucial role in maintaining liquid water on a planet. It helps regulate the temperature and pressure on the planet's surface, which are essential for the existence of liquid water. Without an atmosphere, the water would either freeze or evaporate, depending on the planet's distance from its star.

3. Are there any known planets with liquid water but no atmosphere?

As of now, there are no known planets with liquid water but no atmosphere. However, there are some exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system) that have been discovered to have a thin, tenuous atmosphere, which could potentially support liquid water on their surfaces.

4. How does the presence of an atmosphere impact the habitability of a planet?

The presence of an atmosphere is crucial for the habitability of a planet. An atmosphere helps regulate the planet's temperature, protects it from harmful radiation, and allows for the existence of liquid water on the surface. Without an atmosphere, a planet would not be able to sustain life as we know it.

5. Can a planet have a dense atmosphere and still have liquid water on its surface?

Yes, it is possible for a planet to have a dense atmosphere and still have liquid water on its surface. The atmospheric pressure and composition would need to be within a specific range to maintain liquid water, but it is theoretically possible. An example of this is Venus, which has a dense atmosphere but also has evidence of past liquid water on its surface.