Could a collision cause Venus to rotate prograde?

In summary, the slow rotation of Venus is due to atmospheric friction, and there is no evidence that a planet-sized impact was necessary for it to happen.
Alex Nesh
I got in an argument and I was defending one of the theories about Venus' slow prograde rotation. I'm defending the theory which states that atmospheric friction, over a period of billions of years slowed initially fast rotation of Venus and made it go prograde.

My opponent says that it would only be possible as a result of collision with a body three times larger than the moon in early Solar System formation.

My point is that such a collision could disintegrate both of the bodies and after all the matter condense it would be subjected to tidal forces of the sun (due to its proximity) and orbital energy cause the protoplanet to start rotating counterclockwise.

Please help me with that.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Venus has a retrograde orbit.
It's slow rotation period is exactly what you would expect for a planet with a thick atmosphere cleaose to the sun and subject to tidal locking.
It may have had surface liquids earlier in it's history which would have speeded up the tidal friction.

I don't know much about this, unfortunately, but a bit of research shows that it may be possible to explain Venus' rotation without a planetisimal impact.

The mere publication of this theory doesn't mean that this is necessarily the right answer though. I'm afraid I don't know what the "consensus" view is, or even if there is a consensus.

For an example of a published peer-reviewed version of the non-impact theory, see for instance http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2003Icar..163...1C, available online at http://www.imcce.fr/Equipes/ASD/preprints/prep.2002/venus1.2002.pdf

One interesting quote:

We show that the capture in the 1:1 spin orbit resonance during Venus' history is unlikely and becomes impossible when the dense atmosphere is present as this resonance becomes unstable

Apparently the authors are saying that the naive "tidal lock" where Venus presents one face to the sun one would expect becomes unstable for a planet with a thick atmosphere (!).

I'd like to balance this out by finding a peer-reviewed published version of the impact theory, but so far I haven't found one (though I've seen plenty of popular references).

Related to Could a collision cause Venus to rotate prograde?

1. Could a collision cause Venus to rotate prograde?

Yes, it is possible that a collision with a large enough object could cause Venus to rotate in the opposite direction of its current retrograde rotation. This is known as a "prograde" rotation.

2. What evidence suggests that Venus may have experienced a collision in the past?

Scientists have observed that Venus has a retrograde rotation, meaning it rotates in the opposite direction of most other planets in our solar system. This could potentially be explained by a past collision that disrupted its original rotation.

3. How likely is it that a collision caused Venus to rotate prograde?

While it is possible, it is difficult to determine the exact likelihood of a collision causing Venus to rotate prograde. Many factors, such as the size and speed of the colliding object, would play a role in this process.

4. What other factors could have caused Venus to rotate prograde?

There are several other factors that could potentially explain Venus's retrograde rotation, such as gravitational interactions with other planets or tidal forces from the Sun. However, a collision is one of the most widely accepted explanations.

5. How would a collision have affected Venus's overall structure and composition?

A collision with a large object would have likely caused significant changes to Venus's surface, potentially creating new landforms and altering its overall composition. This could also have had an impact on the planet's atmosphere and geological activity.