Global geophysical events so why doesn't anybody care?: The Gaurdian

In summary: Russ... In summary, a huge chunk of the Cumbre Vieja volcano, on the Canary Island of La Palma, is on the move. In 1949, this mass of rock - perhaps as large as the Isle of Man - dropped 4 metres seawards and stopped. Monitoring in the mid-90s suggested that it was continuing to creep downslope, though only at a centimetre or so a year. At some time, however, and we don't have a clue when, the landslide will plunge into the north Atlantic, generating gigantic tsunamis - sea waves likely to be 50 metres high or more - that will devastate the Caribbean and eastern United States, as well as the
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A huge chunk of the Cumbre Vieja volcano, on the Canary Island of La Palma, is on the move. In 1949, this mass of rock - perhaps as large as the Isle of Man - dropped 4 metres seawards and stopped.
Monitoring in the mid-90s suggested that it was continuing to creep downslope, though only at a centimetre or so a year. At some time, however, and we don't have a clue when, the landslide will plunge into the north Atlantic, generating gigantic tsunamis - sea waves likely to be 50 metres high or more - that will devastate the Caribbean and eastern United States, as well as the Canaries themselves, southern Europe and western Africa.

Without evacuation, the destruction will end the lives of tens of millions and bring the global economy to its knees overnight.

You might expect that this landslide would be one of the most closely studied on the planet, but that would be far off the mark. In reality, nobody is monitoring the situation, and the island's authorities are reportedly allowing new building developments to go ahead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/naturaldisasters/story/0,7369,1068213,00.html

I think this author lacks perspecitive in that many scenarios offer little hope, or much that can be done, but I found the article to be interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in the late 80's they said we're gon'na loose
the Ozone layer pretty soon and die from radiation
poisoning. Did anyone care ? Today they say that a
few more degrees up and ten years later we'll bring
back the Ice Age. Do people not drive their cars because
of that today ?
Nope, because nobody gives a damn.
Why ? Because people in general are just a huge stupid mob. :frown:

And BTW, there are just too many of us, unfortunately.

Live long and prosper.

What I think is funny is that terrorism is a lot less likely than a lot of the 'doomsday' predictions, but we pay more attention to it...more proof that the terrorists are winning.

Originally posted by Zero
What I think is funny is that terrorism is a lot less likely than a lot of the 'doomsday' predictions
Really ? It's like I said before then, you and some other people
here just won't care until it happens to you. There are places
on Earth where terrorism claims victims almost every day.
Before 9/11 there was a great amount of attacks - some of them
with hundreds of victims on US citizens alone(if that's all you
care about at least a little). But, it didn't happen to you or
people you know, right...

Live long and prosper.

What I think is funny is that terrorism is a lot less likely than a lot of the 'doomsday' predictions, but we pay more attention to it...more proof that the terrorists are winning.
Dunno about that: How many Americans have been killed by volcanoes in the past 3 years? 10 years? 20 years?

Originally posted by russ_watters
Dunno about that: How many Americans have been killed by volcanoes in the past 3 years? 10 years? 20 years?
Uh huh...how many have dies in earthquakes and tornados, though? :wink: Or car crashes, being struck by lightning, choking on food, etc? We (sometimes) correctly don't worry about things that we don't think we have any control over and that happen by accident. We focus a lot on things that we pretend to have control over, or are guided by human hands.

Uh huh...how many have dies in earthquakes and tornados, though? :wink: Or car crashes, being struck by lightning, choking on food, etc? We (sometimes) correctly don't worry about things that we don't think we have any control over and that happen by accident. We focus a lot on things that we pretend to have control over, or are guided by human hands.
Tornados? Car crashes? [?] [?]

Focus Zero, the article was about volcanos.

Tornados? Car crashes? [?] [?]

Focus Zero, the article was about volcanos.
Quit being a smarta$$, Russ...

Uh huh...how many have dies in earthquakes and tornados, though? Or car crashes, being struck by lightning, choking on food, etc? We (sometimes) correctly don't worry about things that we don't think we have any control over and that happen by accident. We focus a lot on things that we pretend to have control over, or are guided by human hands.
Quit being a smarta$$...
Russ appears to be a very polite person, his insult, that
was certainly provoked, was masked so well you actually missed
it, Zero. I on the other hand have less tolerance for BS.

Peace and long life.

Stay on topic, or this thread gets locked...you all know better.

Ehh, he's hocking a book. The threat he sees doesn't actually exist (at least in any meaningful level of probability or predictability) but its a sexy one: that dumbass movie did pretty well.

No, the threat of this event happening is well known, though whether it is quite as diasterous as some say it could be is up for debate BUT it certainly should not be ignored.

Originally posted by jcsd
No, the threat of this event happening is well known, though whether it is quite as diasterous as some say it could be is up for debate BUT it certainly should not be ignored.
We also know that building a house on the San Andreas fault, or on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, is a lousy idea, but people do it anyways.

I only read the first page and the article @ the beginning...

but the issue is for real. I think I saw something along those lines on the discovery channel here in the U.S. Worst case scenerio, this mass of land crashs the Atlantic... Mega-tsunamis destroy huge area of the east coast(U.S.) and kills thousands of people. Its not to be taken lightly for its better to be prepared, forewarned and live than the other eventuallity.
Mega-tsunamis are three to five times more destructive than the normal ones. I'm out.
P.S. Did I mention the entire east coast is at stake from Florida to Maine.

1. Why are global geophysical events not receiving enough attention from the public?

There are a few reasons for this lack of attention. First, these events may not be as immediately visible or tangible as other issues, such as political events or economic struggles. Additionally, the impacts of global geophysical events, such as natural disasters, often disproportionately affect marginalized communities, making them easy to overlook for those who are not directly impacted. Lastly, there may also be a lack of clear understanding or awareness of the causes and potential consequences of these events.

2. What are some examples of global geophysical events?

Global geophysical events include natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, and tsunamis. Other examples include climate-related events such as extreme weather patterns, sea level rise, and changes in ocean currents.

3. How do global geophysical events impact our daily lives?

Global geophysical events can have a significant impact on our daily lives in various ways. Natural disasters can cause destruction of homes, infrastructure, and loss of lives. Climate-related events can affect agriculture, water and food supplies, and public health. Additionally, these events can also lead to displacement, economic struggles, and political instability.

4. What can we do to prepare for global geophysical events?

There are several steps that can be taken to prepare for global geophysical events. This includes developing emergency response plans, investing in resilient infrastructure, and implementing sustainable practices to mitigate the effects of climate change. It is also crucial to educate and raise awareness about these events and their potential impact.

5. How can we make people care about global geophysical events?

Raising awareness and education are key factors in making people care about global geophysical events. This can be achieved through media coverage, educational programs, and community engagement. Additionally, governments and organizations can also take action by implementing policies and investing in resilience measures to mitigate the effects of these events. It is also essential for individuals to recognize the interconnectedness of these events and their impact on our planet and future generations.

Back