Cost-effective digital camera and telescope

In summary, the conversation revolves around equipment recommendations for astrophotography. The main questions include suggestions for a cost-effective digital camera and telescope, the capabilities of a 4-6" aperture refractor/reflector telescope in terms of viewing distance and objects visible, and personal experiences with different equipment. Some recommendations include the ETX-105 telescope for beginner-intermediate level with go-to capability, the use of a webcam for better quality pictures, and the option of investing in a high-quality refractor telescope like those made by Roland Christen of Astro Physics. It is noted that astrophotography requires a significant investment of time and money, but can result in stunning images.
dekoi
Could anyone suggest good equipment for astrophotography?

What is the most cost-effective digital camera and (digital camera compatible) telescope?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My hope for a reply is slowly diminishing.

Another question: What will a decent 4-6" aperature refractor/reflector telescope allow me to see? What viewing distance is allowed (considering a little city light and smog)?

dekoi said:
My hope for a reply is slowly diminishing.

Another question: What will a decent 4-6" aperature refractor/reflector telescope allow me to see? What viewing distance is allowed (considering a little city light and smog)?
Sorry...

I have an ETX-105 (4 inch) and I like it. The tracking is a little sketchy as you can see from my previous posts, but as a beginner-intermediate scope with real go-to capability, its pretty good.

With the naked eye, a scope of this size will allow you to see planets in pretty good detail with the naked eye and the brighter nebulae and galaxies. Attached is an unprocessed photo of Jupiter and its comparable (though a little higher contrast) to what you can see through the eyepiece. The processed pics are a good twice the detail and you can get pictures like that with a $20 webcam. For more than just faint-fuzzy pics of galaxies or nebulae, you need a camera that'll do long exposures.

Attachments

• Jupiter - unproc.jpg
    Jupiter - unproc.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 529
To dekoi: It depends what you can afford and how much storage room you have and where you can observe from (including questions of transport). The nicest scopes are pricey, but they can also be a life-long investment, so you'll have to factor in your interests. If you are the type that latches onto a hobby or interest, only to lose interest in a year or two, you should buy a USED entry-level scope (let the original owner eat the depreciation) and if you find that a few years later, you can't live without better quality, then go for it. You're hooked.

Roland Christen (Astro Physics) has made exquisite apochromatic refractors for many years (I have one of his early 6" f:8 models). They command some pretty stiff prices, but the optical quality is astounding. I went through a succession of commercial-grade scopes (including a really sweet little 5" JSO Schmidt-Cassegrain and a 3" Questar) before investing in one of Roland's instruments. Tony Hallas and Daphne Mount contributed wonderful deep-sky photos to amateur astronomy magazines for years using these great refractors. They have since moved up to some pretty big scopes - here is their website (they have married since they started their collaberation.)

http://www.astrophoto.com/index.htm

Here is Roland's website. You can see some of the pictures that he has taken with the 'scopes he builds - absolutely killer.

http://voltaire.csun.edu/roland/

These sites are just to show you the results that dedicated amateurs can get with good observing sites and great equipment. This level of commitment takes a great deal of time and no small amount of money. Many people can come up with the money - fewer are willing to invest the time to achieve the level of proficiency necessary to turn in results like this.

I have not been active in astrophotography for years due to time constraints, light pollution in my location, etc, but soon I hope to be moving to a VERY dark location and intend to build a roll-off roof observatory for my APO and buy a CCD camera. No more 20-40 minute guided exposures with Konika 3200 film when it's -20 deg F (absolutely the clearest skies you can get, except when the sun acts up and the sky is washed out by aurorae.) I processed all my own film and only let the photo-processors do the final printing. Digital will be a hoot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cost-effective digital camera and telescope

1. What is the difference between a cost-effective digital camera and a telescope?

A cost-effective digital camera is a device that captures images and videos in digital format using a lens and a sensor. On the other hand, a telescope is an optical instrument used to magnify distant objects and capture images of celestial bodies. The main difference between the two is their purpose and functionality.

2. How do I choose a cost-effective digital camera or telescope?

When choosing a cost-effective digital camera, consider factors such as sensor size, resolution, and lens compatibility. For telescopes, consider the aperture, focal length, and mount type. It is also important to research and read reviews from other users to make an informed decision.

3. Can a cost-effective digital camera be used for astrophotography?

Yes, a cost-effective digital camera can be used for astrophotography, but its capabilities may be limited compared to a specialized astrophotography camera. However, with the right settings and techniques, you can still capture stunning images of the night sky.

4. What is the average cost of a cost-effective digital camera or telescope?

The average cost of a cost-effective digital camera can range from $100 to $500, depending on its features and quality. A cost-effective telescope, on the other hand, can range from $200 to $1000, again depending on its specifications and quality.

5. Are there any maintenance or care tips for a cost-effective digital camera or telescope?

To ensure the longevity of your cost-effective digital camera, it is important to keep it clean and dry, and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures. For telescopes, regular maintenance such as cleaning the lenses and collimating (aligning) the mirrors is necessary for optimal performance. It is also important to store the telescope in a dry and secure place when not in use.