Cosmology Questions: Show Max Size in Expanding Universe w/o Quotes

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the continuity equation and the first and second Friedmann equations were used to show that if ##\omega > -1/3##, an expanding universe will eventually reach a maximum size. The equation of state, ##\rho = P/\omega##, was used to remove P and show that the acceleration is always positive in this case. However, if ##\omega < -1/3##, the energy density will increase as the universe expands and the acceleration will be negative.
roam

Homework Statement

(a)[/B] From the continuity equation show that if ##P=\omega \rho## and ##\omega > -1/3##, show that an expanding universe will eventually reach a maximum size. Take ##k=1## (closed universe).

(b) Show that if ##\omega <-1##, the energy density ##\rho## will increase as the universe expands.

Homework Equations

Continuity equation: ##\dot{\rho}+3 \frac{\dot{a}}{a} (\rho +P)=0##

First Friedmann equation:

##\left( \frac{\dot{a}}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho - \frac{k}{a^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)[/B] The hint says I must first solve for ##a## when ##\dot{a}=0## the first Friedmann equation and then consider ##\ddot{a}##. So solving that equation yields:

##a=\sqrt{\frac{3k}{8 \pi G \rho}}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{8 \pi G \rho}}##

To find ##\ddot{a}##, I substitute this into the second Friedmann equation:

##\frac{\ddot{a}}{a}= - \frac{4 \pi G}{3} (\rho + 3P) \implies \ddot{a} = \frac{-4 \pi G}{3} (\rho +3P). \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi G \rho}}##

Using the equation of state ##\rho=P/\omega##

##\ddot{a} = \frac{-4 \pi G}{3} ((P/\omega)+3P). \sqrt{\frac{3}{8\pi G (P/\omega)}}##

Do I need to show that we have positive acceleration (i.e. ##\ddot{a}>0##)? I think the equation above shows that acceleration is reduced as the universe expands (##\ddot{a}## decreases as P decreases).

Also, how can I use the continuity equation here? :confused:

(b) Do I need to be looking at the expression I found previously with negative P?

Any corrections or explanation is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the equation of state to remove P instead of ##\rho##. Pressure can be negative, energy density is not.

Likes roam
Orodruin said:
I would use the equation of state to remove P instead of ##\rho##. Pressure can be negative, energy density is not.

Thank you. I got

##\ddot{a}=\frac{-4\pi G}{3}(\rho+3\rho \omega) \sqrt{\frac{3}{8 \pi G \rho}}##

So, for the case ##\omega = -1/3##, we have ##\ddot{a}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{8 \pi G \rho}}>0##. So the acceleration is always positive.

But how could we use the continuity equation in this case?

I assume you mean for ##\omega < -1/3##. Why would you not expect the continuity equation to hold? A component with negative pressure simply behaves very differently from ordinary matter or radiation. In particular, the case of ##\omega = -1## corresponds to a cosmological constant.

Also note that you have assumed that ##\dot a = 0## in your expression. This is not necessary to know the sign of the acceleration, but it will be true in particular when this holds.

No, I meant for the case when ##\omega >-1/3##. How does one explain that such a universe reaches a maximum size with reference to the continuity equation?

The second Friedmann equation is derived by inserting the continuity equation into the first Friedmann equation so when you are applying the second Friedmann equation you are implicitly assuming the continuity equation.

If ##\omega > -1/3## you have ##\ddot a \propto - \rho (1 + 3\omega) < 0## so deceleration. In order to have ##\ddot a## positive, ##1+3\omega## must be negative, i.e., ##1 + 3\omega < 0 \Rightarrow \omega < -1/3##. What is the nature of the local extrema (where ##\dot a## is zero) if the second derivative is negative?

Likes roam

Related to Cosmology Questions: Show Max Size in Expanding Universe w/o Quotes

1. What is the maximum size of the universe?

The maximum size of the universe is unknown and is constantly expanding. This means that the size of the universe is continuously increasing and there is no limit to how large it can become.

2. How is the size of the universe measured?

The size of the universe is measured using a unit called the light-year, which is the distance light travels in one year. The observable universe, which is the portion of the universe we can see, is estimated to be around 93 billion light-years in diameter.

3. Can the size of the universe be calculated using mathematical equations?

Yes, the size of the universe can be estimated using mathematical equations such as the Hubble law, which relates the distance of galaxies from Earth to their redshift (how much their light has shifted towards the red end of the spectrum).

4. How does the expansion of the universe affect its size?

The expansion of the universe causes it to continuously increase in size. This means that the farther away a galaxy is from us, the faster it is moving away due to the expansion of space. This results in the universe becoming larger over time.

5. Is there a limit to how fast the universe can expand?

Currently, there is no known limit to how fast the universe can expand. However, based on our current understanding of physics, there is a limit to the speed at which objects can move through space (the speed of light). This means that the universe cannot expand faster than the speed of light.