Cosmological principle about space and time

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the cosmological principle and its potential implications for the nature of spacetime. The participants consider various models and theories, including the possibility of the universe emerging from nothing and the idea of a beginning of time. However, no definitive conclusions are reached and it is suggested that further research and references should be consulted for a more informed discussion.
elcaro
TL;DR Summary
The known cosmological principle states that the universe is (at sufficient large scales) homogeneous and isotropic. Are there also cosmological principles about space and time itself, for instance that spacetime is an interconnected whole, that there are no gaps and no edges or boundaries to spacetime?
AFAIK there is no cosmological principle formulated about space and time. If it would be formulated, it would more or less state that spacetime is an interconnected whole, and has no gaps, edges or boundaries. It doesn't need to state wether spacetime is finite or infinite, that is an open question.

But would this be a reasonable assumption about spacetime, or does our current understanding of the big bang or black holes would likely break these assumptions about spacetime?

Some further thoughts on this:
There are physical ideas out there in which the universe could have emerged from a literal nothing (or: a small space with radius r, having r go to zero), but this would incorporate the idea that spacetime somehow had an edge or boundary. The idea of a begin of time (or: emergence of time) seems to me a contradiction, since a beginning is already a temporal concept (pre assumes the existence of time and the concept of change, since without time, nothing can change) while "at the same time" time is said to have a begin (ie did not yet exist), which in any cases involves a change, which - without being there time - could not occur.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
elcaro said:
There are physical ideas out there in which the universe could have emerged from a literal nothing (or: a small space with radius r, having r go to zero), but this would incorporate the idea that spacetime somehow had an edge or boundary.
Not necessarily. The universe could have the spatial topology of a 3-sphere, which would have a finite volume but no boundary.

Rather than just make general statements, I strongly suggest that you find a specific model and give a reference to it as a basis for discussion.

Last edited:
elcaro said:
The idea of a begin of time (or: emergence of time) seems to me a contradiction, since a beginning is already a temporal concept (pre assumes the existence of time and the concept of change, since without time, nothing can change) while "at the same time" time is said to have a begin (ie did not yet exist), which in any cases involves a change, which - without being there time - could not occur.
Again, I strongly suggest that you spend some time looking at references instead of making general speculations. You will find plenty of spacetime models, including all of the standard FRW spacetimes, in which the phrase "a beginning of time" has a perfectly well-defined meaning and does not raise any of the issues you suggest.

Last edited:
elcaro said:
There are physical ideas out there in which the universe could have emerged from a literal nothing
I can't think of any serious scientific hypotheses that say this. There is always something before that transitions into the universe we live in today.

elcaro said:
The idea of a begin of time (or: emergence of time) seems to me a contradiction, since a beginning is already a temporal concept (pre assumes the existence of time and the concept of change, since without time, nothing can change) while "at the same time" time is said to have a begin (ie did not yet exist), which in any cases involves a change, which - without being there time - could not occur.
Again, I can't think of any serious hypotheses or models that say that time 'comes into being'.

This may be what mainstream media (i.e. movies and tv) says, or it might be a comment by a scientist during some interview or something, but I don't think any of the actual science makes either of these claims.

PeterDonis said:
Again, I strongly suggest that you spend some time looking at references instead of making general speculations. You will find plenty of spacetime models, including all of the standard FRW spacetimes, in which the phrase "a beginning of time" has a perfectly well-defined meaning and does not raise any of the issues you suggest.
Creation of universes from nothing

PeterDonis said:
Not necessarily. The universe could have the spatial topology of a 3-sphere, which would have a finite volume but no boundary.
In models were the universe starts from literally nothing and quantum tunnels into De Sitterspace, there is a spacetime boundary, since it implies some earliest moment in time before which no time is defined.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
Despite what the titles of these say, neither of these involve the universe coming from literally nothing. Check around the 7:00 timeframe in the video where Vilenkin agrees with this.
What do you mean? The abstract of the paper states:

Abstract​

A cosmological model is proposed in which the universe is created by quantum tunneling from literally nothing into a de Sitter space. After the tunneling, the model evolves along the lines of the inflationary scenario. This model does not have a big-bang singularity and does not require any initial or boundary conditions.

How can you state this theory is not about the universe emerging from LITERALLY NOTHING, if that is what the abstract of the paper LITERALLY STATES?

What precisely is the difference between "nothing", "absolutely nothing", "literally nothing" and "absolutely, literally nothing"?

Likes Vanadium 50
PeroK said:
What precisely is the difference between "nothing", "absolutely nothing", "literally nothing" and "absolutely, literally nothing"?
I don't know, I just use the terminology used in the paper itself, I did not use the term "absolute".

But please answer the question, is or isn't the paper about the emerging of universes from literally nothing, like the abstract says, or not?

elcaro said:
I don't know, I just use the terminology used in the paper itself, I did not use the term "absolute".

But please answer the question, is or isn't the paper about the emerging of universes from literally nothing, like the abstract says, or not?
From what I understand it's nothing except the laws of physics.

PeroK said:
From what I understand it's nothing except the laws of physics.
That is what he says, indeed. But how could "laws of physics" exist apart from and causally prior to the existence of space, time and matter/energy itself? It is in fact alluding to the "alknowing creator" that creates the universe from nothing, which thus is a religious idea in disguise. It is not a physical theory as far as I know. And why does a universe not emerge in my living room every day? I have a lot of nothing stored between the atoms of my room and the quantum fields that fill my room, but nothing ever happened. Or does it need a special kind of "nothing"?

elcaro said:
That is what he says, indeed. But how could "laws of physics" exist apart from and causally prior to the existence of space, time and matter/energy itself?
You can't and never could do physics by pure thought. Why not only the laws of physics to begin with? In some sense, the laws of mathematics (and logic) don't appear to need a physical universe.

elcaro said:
And why does a universe not emerge in my living room every day? I have a lot of nothing stored between the atoms of my room and the quantum fields that fill my room, but nothing ever happened. Or does it need a special kind of "nothing"?
You don't have nothing in your room: you have matter and/or quantum fields or whatever.

You can't and never could do physics by pure thought. Why not only the laws of physics to begin with? In some sense, the laws of mathematics (and logic) don't appear to need a physical universe.
Mathematics and also physics is a mental discipline, so they need a mental subject in order to exist. Mental subjects normally require a physical universe to exist.

You don't have nothing in your room: you have matter and/or quantum fields or whatever.
I am pretty damn sure I have a lot of nothing in my room, virtual particles coming in and out of existence from that nothing.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
elcaro said:
Mathematics and also physics is a mental discipline, so they need a mental subject in order to exist. Mental subjects normally require a physical universe to exist.I am pretty damn sure I have a lot of nothing in my room, virtual particles coming in and out of existence from that nothing.
This is your personal opinion and personal philosophy. I'm not convinced that what you believe must necessarily dictate what physical theories may ultimately govern our universe. Why should I? Do I believe in the principle of the infallibility of elcaro's neurons?

That applies equally to anyone's neurons. What should anyone's neurons be infallible?

PeroK said:
This is your personal opinion and personal philosophy. I'm not convinced that what you believe must necessarily dictate what physical theories may ultimately govern our universe. Why should I? Do I believe in the principle of the infallibility of elcaro's neurons?

That applies equally to anyone's neurons. What should anyone's neurons be infallible?
Neither do we believe in the infallibility of Einsteins neurons, or whatever scientist, we just apply rules of logic and apply them to physical phenomena, make theories about physical reality that can make predictions that can be tested. I don't have a personal theory about the universe. We are discussing this in the context of cosmological principles about space and time. Wether or not such principles (like the one I formulated) can be said to apply to the universe. We just check if the logic makes sense, since in the case of spacetime and events outside (or predating) the observable universe or behind a black hole horizon, we can not make direct observations to test our ideas.

elcaro said:
How can you state this theory is not about the universe emerging from LITERALLY NOTHING, if that is what the abstract of the paper LITERALLY STATES?
Because he contradicts himself in the video, and because of the highly ambiguous nature of discussing 'nothing'.

elcaro said:
We just check if the logic makes sense, since in the case of spacetime and events outside (or predating) the observable universe or behind a black hole horizon, we can not make direct observations to test our ideas.
There may be no question of logic. The question is about which premises we apply that logic to.

For example:

1) Premise: the laws of physics do not require a physical universe

Conclusion: the universe could have emerged from nothing except the laws of physics.

2) Premise: the laws of physics require a physical universe

Conclusion: the universe could not have emerged from nothing except the laws of physics

Both are perfectly logical. It's the initial premise that is the critical factor.

Likes Drakkith
elcaro said:
The abstract does not give the underlying mathematical model. Without the underlying mathematical model, we have no way of telling what the author means by "literally nothing". You can't just wave your hands and conjure a meaning for that phrase out of thin air.

Unfortunately, as I noted in a previous post, the paper you linked to is behind a paywall and it doesn't look like a preprint is on arxiv.

Since we have no valid basis for discussion (paper is paywalled), this thread is closed.

1. What is the cosmological principle about space and time?

The cosmological principle is a fundamental concept in cosmology that states that the laws of physics are the same everywhere in the universe and that the universe appears the same from any vantage point. This principle assumes that the universe is homogeneous (uniform in composition) and isotropic (uniform in all directions).

2. How does the cosmological principle relate to the Big Bang theory?

The cosmological principle is a key assumption in the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The principle suggests that the universe is expanding uniformly in all directions, and this expansion is a result of the initial explosion of the singularity.

3. Is the cosmological principle supported by evidence?

Yes, the cosmological principle is supported by various pieces of evidence, including the uniform distribution of galaxies in the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These observations suggest that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on a large scale, supporting the idea of a cosmological principle.

4. Are there any exceptions to the cosmological principle?

While the cosmological principle is a widely accepted concept, there are some exceptions to it. For example, on a smaller scale, the universe is not perfectly homogeneous and isotropic. There are also theories, such as the multiverse theory, that suggest the existence of multiple universes with different physical laws, which would challenge the idea of a single cosmological principle.

5. How does the cosmological principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The cosmological principle is a crucial concept in our understanding of the universe as it allows us to make predictions and models about the universe on a large scale. It also helps us to explain the observed uniformity and structure of the universe. However, it is important to continue studying and testing this principle to further our understanding of the universe and its origins.