Cosmological Constant: What & Why?

In summary, the cosmological constant is a mathematical term introduced by Einstein that helps to explain the behavior of the universe over long periods of time. It is not necessary for the universe to exist, and was discarded by most physicists in the 20th century because it led to problems.
kiru
what is cosmological constant?Why it is introduced by Enstien.?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not want to stifle your "curiosity", but may I suggest that you learn ONE thing at a time?

You have asked a series of questions, and a number of people have responded to them already. Have you UNDERSTOOD these answers? Learning isn't a one-way, give-me give-me give-me situation. It requires constant feedback and interaction. Have you, on your part, put in ANY effort at trying to understand the question you are asking? Did you try looking at various sites, or even a text, FIRST before asking here? If you did, what did you read and what part did you not understand? Such explanation will help those trying to answer your question to better tailor their answers to address your particular problem.

If you wish that people put some thought and effort into responding to your questions, at the very least you should also show from your part that you have put some effort in trying understand it in the first place by putting a more elaborate explanation in your questions.

Zz.

I thank you sir for giving me your suggestions.But as you said I don't make fun in seeing others responding me.Now only I got the oppurtunity to make use of this forum.As I have lots of doubts which my professors don't want to answer.I know that I am very low in knowledge.Yet in any way I want to acquire it.And from now onwards I will try to refine my approach of learning one at a time.Once again I sincerely thank you.You made me burst into tears.

kiru said:
I thank you sir for giving me your suggestions.But as you said I don't make fun in seeing others responding me.Now only I got the oppurtunity to make use of this forum.As I have lots of doubts which my professors don't want to answer.I know that I am very low in knowledge.Yet in any way I want to acquire it.And from now onwards I will try to refine my approach of learning one at a time.Once again I sincerely thank you.You made me burst into tears.

No one can help you EFFECTIVELY if you do not reveal what you know and what you don't know. Your questions reveal little to none on this. Tell us what you tried to understand, and at what point you don't. That way, the explanation we give will START from where you understand and builds on top of that. This is the most effective means to understand anything.

And if a constructive criticism like that made you "burst into tears", you may have a very rough time in physics.

Zz.

Related to Cosmological Constant: What & Why?

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant, denoted by the Greek letter lambda (Λ), is a term in Einstein's theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of empty space. It is often referred to as the "vacuum energy" or "dark energy."

2. How does the cosmological constant affect the expansion of the universe?

The cosmological constant is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerating expansion of the universe. This means that the space between galaxies is expanding at an increasing rate, causing them to move further apart from each other over time.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the cosmological constant?

The existence of the cosmological constant is supported by various pieces of observational evidence, such as the redshift of distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These observations suggest that the universe is expanding and that this expansion is accelerating, which requires the presence of a cosmological constant.

4. Why is the cosmological constant important in our understanding of the universe?

The cosmological constant is important because it helps us to explain the behavior of the universe on a large scale. It is one of the key components of the standard model of cosmology and is necessary to account for the observed expansion of the universe. It also plays a role in the formation of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe.

5. Is the value of the cosmological constant constant?

Despite its name, the value of the cosmological constant is not actually constant. It can change over time and may have been different in the past. This is a topic of ongoing research in cosmology, and scientists are still trying to understand the exact nature and behavior of the cosmological constant.