Cosmological Constant or Quintessence

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between Cosmological Constant and quintessence. The person asking the question is unsure about the difference and is seeking clarification.
pi.rootpi
Hi! I have more questions.

1st. Is there any diference between Cosmological Constant and quintessence?

2nd. If there is, which is?

I've only understood that cosmological constant is the energy of the vacuum but I don't know what quitessence is, so please, could somebody tell me if there is any diference?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
pi.rootpi said:
Hi! I have more questions.

1st. Is there any diference between Cosmological Constant and quintessence?

2nd. If there is, which is?

I've only understood that cosmological constant is the energy of the vacuum but I don't know what quitessence is, so please, could somebody tell me if there is any diference?

Thanks!

See my answer

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2008211#post2008211.

Related to Cosmological Constant or Quintessence

1. What is the difference between the cosmological constant and quintessence?

The cosmological constant is a constant term in Einstein's equations of general relativity that represents the energy density of empty space. Quintessence is a hypothetical form of dark energy that varies in space and time, and is responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How does the cosmological constant affect the expansion of the universe?

The cosmological constant has a positive value, meaning it exerts a repulsive force that counteracts the attractive force of gravity. This results in a constant expansion of the universe, as observed by Edwin Hubble in 1929.

3. Is the cosmological constant a constant value?

Yes, the cosmological constant is a constant value in Einstein's equations. However, it is still a subject of ongoing research and debate, as its value has been observed to be extremely small compared to theoretical predictions.

4. How does quintessence differ from other forms of dark energy?

Quintessence differs from other forms of dark energy, such as the cosmological constant, in that it can vary in space and time. This allows for the possibility of a changing rate of cosmic expansion, which is not possible with a constant value like the cosmological constant.

5. Can we detect and measure quintessence?

Currently, there is no direct detection or measurement of quintessence. However, scientists are working on developing observational techniques to detect and study its effects on the expansion of the universe. This is an active area of research in cosmology.