Cosmological constant calculation

In summary: Second, this linear presentation of the theory is not the only way in which it can be presented. A theory can also be presented in a nonlinear way in which each point is connected to many others in various ways. For example, one can show that the theory predicts certain specific results. (In doing this, one would not be "deriving" the rest of the theory from these results; he would be saying that these results were predicted by the theory.) Third, "proofs" of a theory are not the same as "demonstrations" of it. A proof is a demonstration that certain statements in a theory are true. (For example, if one proves that the theory predicts the results of
ftr
I have always wondered about how cosmological constant is characterized. You often read the “cosmological constant measured to be ….”.So since it is still a hypothesis, shouldn't the statement read “cosmological constant calculated to be ….” . Or Is it that such semantics does not matter.

Space news on Phys.org
We don't know how to calculate a sensible value for the cosmological constant (that would be a major breakthrough), we can only measure the value of the cosmological constant. Maybe a more accurate statement would be something like "A so-and-so cosmological model with cosmological constant having value such-and-such is consistent with observations."

This is usually what is meant by "measure" in science. For example, "A model for an electron with electric charge such-and-such is consistent with observations."

George Jones said:
We don't know how to calculate a sensible value for the cosmological constant (that would be a major breakthrough), we can only measure the value of the cosmological constant. Maybe a more accurate statement would be something like "A so-and-so cosmological model with cosmological constant having value such-and-such is consistent with observations."

This is usually what is meant by "measure" in science. For example, "A model for an electron with electric charge such-and-such is consistent with observations."

But how do you measure a theoretical conjecture!

As with any theoretical conjecture, we need a model that makes predictions that can be compared with observation. In this case, cosmological models which predict, e.g., relationships between observed absolute magnitudes, apparent magnitudes, and redshifts of cosmological objects. Different values for the cosmological constant give different relationships between the these things.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
As with any theoretical conjecture, we need a model that makes predictions that can be compared with observation. In this case, cosmological models which predict, e.g., observed absolute magnitudes, apparent magnitudes, and redshifts of cosmological objects. Different values for the cosmological constant give different relationships between the these things.

I guess I meant that we measure the redshift not the CC. attributing CC to redshift is a conjecture.

This is true for all of physics. "Through this-and-that interactions with our apparatus, we expect to see ... " I don't see anything different in the case of the cosmological constant. What about all the stuff in elementary physics? Indirect observations are viewed through the filters of abstract theories that are far removed from everyday experience.

Physics never proves anything, everything is a conjecture. Physics has never been about proving things.

As an example, consider Newton's theory of gravity. Given the masses of any two objects and the distance that separates the objects, Newtonian gravity gives an expression for the gravitational force between the objects. To prove that Newtonian gravity is true, we would have to verify experimentally its force expression for all possible masses and all possible separation distances. It is impossible, even in principle, to verify this infinite set of possibilities. Even if we verify it a zillion times, tomorrow we could make a measurement that we can't square with its force expression. It only takes one (set of) measurement(s) to prove it wrong.

Newton's theory of gravity, even if it hadn't been falsified by experiment, would still only be a conjecture.

I like what Robert Geroch wrote (in his non-technical book "General Relativity from A to B about physics theories and "proofs" of theories:

from Geroch said:
It seems to me that "theories of physics" have, in the main, gotten a terrible press. The view has somehow come to be rampant that such theories are precise, highly logical, ultimately "proved". In my opinion, at least, this is simply not the case - not the case for general relativity and not the case for any other theory in physics. First, theories, in my view, consist of an enormous number of ideas, arguments, hunches, vague feelings, value judgements, and so on, all arranged in a maze. These various ingredients are connected in a complicated way. It is this entire body of material that is "the theory". One's mental picture of the theory is this nebulous mass taken as a whole. In presenting the theory, however, one can hardly attempt to present a "nebulous mass taken as a whole". One is thus forced to rearrange it so that it is linear, consisting of one point after another, each connected in some more or less direct way with its predecessor. What is supposed to happen is that one who learns the theory, presented in this linear way, then proceeds to form his own "nebulous mass taken as a whole". The points are all rearranged, numerous new connections between these points are introduced, hunches and vague feelings come into play, and so on. In one's own approach to the theory, one normally makes no attempt to isolate a few of these points to be called "postulates". One makes no attempt to derive the rest of the theory from postulates. (What, indeed, could it mean to "derive" something about the physical world?) One makes no attempt to "prove" the theory, or any part of it. (I don't even know what a "proof" could mean in this context. I wouldn't recognize a "proof" of a physical theory if I saw one.)

Geroch was a very deep thinking, very good, professor in the departments of mathematics and physics at the University of Chicago. He also authored the provocatively titled book "Mathematical Physics".

Related to Cosmological constant calculation

What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant is a term in Einstein's field equations of general relativity that describes the energy density of the vacuum of space. It is often denoted by the symbol Λ (lambda) and is a measure of the expansion or contraction of the universe.

Why is the cosmological constant important in cosmology?

The cosmological constant plays a crucial role in explaining the accelerated expansion of the universe. It also has implications for the shape and fate of the universe, as well as the distribution of matter and energy within it.

How is the cosmological constant calculated?

The value of the cosmological constant can be calculated using a combination of observational data and theoretical models. This involves measuring the expansion rate of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy, and other cosmological parameters.

What is the significance of the cosmological constant in modern physics?

The cosmological constant has been a subject of intense study in modern physics, as it has implications for our understanding of gravity, quantum mechanics, and the nature of the universe. It also has connections to other areas of research, such as dark energy and the multiverse theory.

What are the current challenges in calculating the cosmological constant?

One of the main challenges in calculating the cosmological constant is the fact that its value is very small and difficult to measure accurately. There are also discrepancies between different methods of calculation, which highlight the need for further research and refinement of theories.