Cosmic censorship conjecture - status?

• Thread starter martinbn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, the current status of the conjecture is that it is still being actively researched and debated in the physics community. There are various aspects, counterexamples, and attempts to formulate it in a mathematically rigorous way, but the search for information can be difficult due to a large number of irrelevant links. One helpful overview article is Penrose (1999), and there are also discussions and notes on the topic such as the one by Poisson from a couple of years ago. There have also been discussions on various forums, such as a question on physics.SE about overcharging a black hole and a thread on physicsforums.com about general information on the conjecture. Some potential counterexamples, such as the Gregory-Laflamme instability
martinbn
Science Advisor
What is the current status of the conjecture? I am interested in all possible aspects, counterexamples, attempts to formulate it in a mathematically rigorous way, proves in special cases, opinions, expectations and so on. Of course I have been trying to find information and have seen some things but the searches give a lot of useless links so I was wondering if anyone knows where to look. Overview articles would be great, the one that I am aware of is Penrose (1999).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I saw it, and it made me curious about the conjecture, for which I have only a very general and vague idea. Your question is specific and very interesting, and I hope someone will answer it. I remember the thread here that you started, then I was also trying to find some general information but gave up. Now I thought I would ask.

Cosmic censorship might not hold in d > 4. The Gregory-Laflamme instability is believed to be a potential counterexample.

Related to Cosmic censorship conjecture - status?

1. What is the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture?

The Cosmic Censorship Conjecture is a hypothesis in theoretical physics proposed by Roger Penrose in 1969. It states that all singularities in the universe, such as black holes, are hidden from the rest of the universe by an event horizon, making them unobservable and preventing them from affecting the outside world.

2. Is the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture proven?

No, the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture is still a conjecture and has not been proven. There have been attempts to prove or disprove it, but it remains an open question in physics.

3. What is the current status of the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture?

The status of the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture is still unknown. There have been several attempts to prove or disprove it, but so far, no conclusive evidence has been found. It remains a topic of ongoing research in theoretical physics.

4. Why is the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture important?

The Cosmic Censorship Conjecture is important because it helps to understand the behavior of singularities in the universe, such as black holes. If proven, it would provide a fundamental understanding of the laws of physics and gravity, and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture?

Yes, there have been several proposed solutions to the Cosmic Censorship Conjecture, but none have been universally accepted yet. Some theories suggest that the conjecture may hold true in certain cases, while others propose modifications to the theory of general relativity to account for singularities.