Cosine Law: Query About Equation | Online Physics Course

• Thread starter paolostinz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosine Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cosine law in an online physics course and the different notations for the equation. The use of c instead of c^2 and (…)1/2 instead of √(…) is explained, with the preference for using c for simplicity and the general notation for powers. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the clarification provided.
paolostinz
My online physics course is using cosine law to find the net forces on objects. My question is to do with the equation, at first it shows it as : c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab cosC.

From there, it changes to: c=[a^2+b^2-2ab cosC]^1/2.

How and why does this work? Why isn't a square root involved in the operation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation ##x^{1/2}## is just another notation for ##\sqrt{x}##. Was that your question?

Yes, thank you! I see now, it seemed like I was getting the wrong answer when I was doing the original equation, so I thought something else was at play here.

Is there any reason why one would prefer writing the equation this way? I just don't get why my textbook would switch the equation when trying ton present new information.

hi paolostinz! :smile:
paolostinz said:
Is there any reason why one would prefer writing the equation this way? I just don't get why my textbook would switch the equation when trying ton present new information.

you mean, writing c instead of c2 ?

or writing (…)1/2 instead of √(…) ?

we usually want c itself, so the fact that it comes from an equation with c2 is a nuisance

(…)n is the general way of writing powers: there's no really good reason for having a special symbol when n = 1/2, and the bar of √, which should really go over the top of the bracket, is a nuisance when the bracket is long :wink:

See, that makes sense, it's the little things like this that confuse me most. I wish I had better access to teachers to clear up these type of hiccups. I'm so grateful for this place, thank you everyone!

Related to Cosine Law: Query About Equation | Online Physics Course

What is the Cosine Law equation?

The Cosine Law equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the angle between them.

What is the purpose of the Cosine Law equation?

The Cosine Law equation is used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle when given enough information about the other sides and angles. It is particularly useful in solving real-world problems involving triangles, such as in navigation and engineering.

How is the Cosine Law equation different from the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles, while the Cosine Law equation can be used for any type of triangle. Additionally, the Pythagorean Theorem only relates the lengths of the sides, while the Cosine Law equation also takes into account the angles of the triangle.

What are the units of measurement for the Cosine Law equation?

The units of measurement for the Cosine Law equation depend on the units used for the sides and angles of the triangle. In general, the units for the sides will be squared, while the units for the angles will be in radians or degrees.

Are there any limitations to using the Cosine Law equation?

The Cosine Law equation assumes that the triangle being solved is a standard Euclidean triangle, meaning that it does not account for curved surfaces or non-Euclidean geometries. Additionally, it cannot be used to solve for all sides and angles of a triangle - there must be enough information given to use the equation.