Cosets: difference between these two statements

In summary, When considering a subgroup H of a group G, two statements are being compared. The first statement involves finding the set of elements g in G such that for a given coset aH in G/H, the function fg maps aH to itself. The second statement involves finding the set of elements g in G such that the function fg is the identity permutation on G/H, meaning it maps every coset aH to itself. The solution set for the second statement is the intersection of sets in the first statement, where each set in the intersection is defined as g = aiha(i-1) for some h in H and some element ai in G.
ZZ Specs
Hi all,

Suppose H is a subgroup of G. For g in G, define fg : G/H > G/H by fg (aH) = gaH for a in G, where G/H is the set of left cosets of H in G.

What is the difference between these two statements:

1) for a given aH in G/H, the set {g in G : fg(aH) = aH }

2) set {g in G : fg = the identity permutation in G/H}

The identity permutation, in this case, meaning fg(aH) = gaH = aH for all cosets aH

I know that in part 1, a is given and so we can use a to find the solution set of g, but I struggle to work with part 2 without any concrete information about such an a.

Physics news on Phys.org
In (2) you demand ##f_g(aH) = aH## for all ##a##. So it is the intersection of sets in (1).

Likes 1 person
Oh of course. Wow, I didn't see that. So the solution set could be considered:

Assuming a_i in G for all i in the index set I,
{g in G : g lies in the intersection ∏i in I {g = a_i h a_i-1 for some h in H} }

Not sure if ∏ is the best symbol to represent intersection, but for now let's go with it.

Thanks for the reply!

Related to Cosets: difference between these two statements

What are cosets?

Cosets are a fundamental concept in group theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies the symmetry and structure of mathematical objects called groups. A coset is a subset of a group that is obtained by multiplying a fixed element of the group to every element in a subgroup of the group.

What is the difference between a left coset and a right coset?

The main difference between left and right cosets is the order in which the elements are multiplied. In a left coset, the fixed element is multiplied on the left side of the subgroup elements, while in a right coset, the fixed element is multiplied on the right side. This results in different subsets, but they both have the same number of elements and the same structure.

Why are cosets important?

Cosets are important because they help us understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. They also help us find patterns and relationships between different elements of a group. Additionally, cosets are used in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and cryptography.

How do you determine the number of cosets in a group?

The number of cosets in a group can be determined by using Lagrange's Theorem, which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group. This means that the number of cosets is equal to the order of the group divided by the order of the subgroup.

What is the significance of the index of a subgroup in relation to cosets?

The index of a subgroup is the number of distinct cosets it has in a group. This means that the index of a subgroup represents the number of ways the group can be partitioned into cosets of that subgroup. Additionally, the index of a subgroup can provide information about the structure and symmetry of a group.