Correspodance between infinite sets

In summary, there can be a one to one correspondence between a subset and a set as long as they have the same cardinality. For infinite sets, it is typical for there to be a bijection between the set and a proper subset.
SW VandeCarr
Take the set of positive integers plus 0 and the subset of all positive integers ending in, say 5. I see no reason why there can't be a one to one correspondence between the subset and the set. Am I wrong? (I have been challenged on this assertion.)

EDIT: The challenge was: The subset is a proper subset and a proper subset cannot have a one to one mapping to its set. I agree this would be true for finite sets.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The set of natural numbers ending in 5 is an infinite subset of the multiples of 5, and has the same cardinality as [tex]\mathbb N[/tex], so the only difficulty is the practical one of explicitly constructing the said bijection.

There's nothing wrong with a bijection from [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] to one of its infinite subsets, because they have the same cardinality (simpler bijections than yours are, for example, [tex]n\rightarrow n+1[/tex] or [tex]n\rightarrow 2n)[/tex]).

On the other hand, it's impossible to have a bijection between [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] and one of its finite subsets.

Edit: just saw your edit, and it's correct; if the sets have the same cardinality, there is always a bijection (in fact, this is part of the definition of cardinality), and proper subsets of infinite sets can be infinite and have the same cardinality of the superset.

SW VandeCarr said:
Take the set of positive integers plus 0 and the subset of all positive integers ending in, say 5. I see no reason why there can't be a one to one correspondence between the subset and the set. Am I wrong?

You're right. This shows that the set of positive integers plus 0 is Dedekind-infinite.

Last edited:
Thanks GR and JSuarez. My challenger asserted that by definition a proper subset cannot include all members of its set, deduced that a bijection was impossible and that this must apply to all sets. Therefore, there could not be a bijection in the case I described. I knew he was wrong but I was thinking that perhaps the term "proper subset" does to not apply to infinite sets.

However I looked up the definition of "Dedekind-infinite" and saw it contains the term "proper subset" so I could see how this might lead to some confusion if one doesn't distinguish between finite and infinite sets.

SW VandeCarr said:
I knew he was wrong

Yes, he was wrong.

SW VandeCarr said:
I was thinking that perhaps the term "proper subset" does to not apply to infinite sets.

No, it certainly applies. But for infinite sets it is usual for their to be a bijection between the set and a proper subset. In fact, if we assume AC (a technical axiom assumed by most mathematicians), all infinite sets have a bijection between the set itself and some proper subset of the set.

Related to Correspodance between infinite sets

1. What is the concept of correspondence between infinite sets?

The concept of correspondence between infinite sets refers to the idea that two sets can have the same number of elements, even if one set is infinite. This means that for every element in one set, there is a corresponding element in the other set, and vice versa.

2. How is the correspondence between infinite sets established?

The correspondence between infinite sets can be established through a one-to-one mapping, where each element in one set is uniquely paired with an element in the other set. This can also be shown through a bijection, which is a one-to-one mapping that is also onto, meaning that every element in one set has a corresponding element in the other set.

3. Can two infinite sets have different sizes?

No, two infinite sets cannot have different sizes if they are in correspondence with each other. This is because the concept of size or cardinality for infinite sets is defined by the existence of a one-to-one mapping between the sets. If such a mapping exists, then the sets are considered to have the same size.

4. How does the correspondence between infinite sets relate to the concept of infinity?

The correspondence between infinite sets demonstrates that there are different levels or sizes of infinity. This means that while two sets may both be infinite, one set can have a greater number of elements than the other due to the existence of a one-to-one mapping. This concept challenges our understanding of infinity as a single, unattainable concept.

5. What are some real-world applications of the concept of correspondence between infinite sets?

The concept of correspondence between infinite sets has various applications in mathematics and computer science, such as in the study of real numbers and in the development of data structures. It also has practical applications in areas such as cryptography, where one-to-one mappings are used to ensure data security, and in game theory, where the concept is used to analyze strategies and outcomes in games with infinite sets of moves or outcomes.