Correlation to Winning question

• MHB
  • Thread starter vballer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correlation
In summary: JamieThe best predictor of a win is EFF% where EFF%>=0.25 predicts a win and EFF%<=0 predicts a loss and between 0.2 and 0.25 is a no-man's land.
vballer
I have a bunch of data for volleyball and I am trying to figure out how correlated certain stats are to winning a game. Here is a small example of the data set.

Pts
Err
Diff
EFF%Win

I am trying to determine which of these items are most correlated to winning (the last column). As you can see if it is a win the value is 1 and if not then it is a 0. In addition, to determining the most useful stats for determining a win, I would like to know what levels each of the first 4 columns should be in order to generate a win at a certain confidence level.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vballer said:
I have a bunch of data for volleyball and I am trying to figure out how correlated certain stats are to winning a game. Here is a small example of the data set.

PtsErrDiffEFF%Win

I am trying to determine which of these items are most correlated to winning (the last column). As you can see if it is a win the value is 1 and if not then it is a 0. In addition, to determining the most useful stats for determining a win, I would like to know what levels each of the first 4 columns should be in order to generate a win at a certain confidence level.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

I'm not sure that you strictly mean correlated, the best predictor for winning for this data is EFF% where EFF%>=0.25 predicts a win and EFF%<=0 predicts a loss and between 0.2 and 0.25 is a no-man's land.

Diff will also provide a perfect predictor for this data but the no-man's land is relatively wider.

Without knowing what the real question is there is little more that it is worth saying.

CB

Let me try this again with the actual data set attached.

Most importantly I am not looking for the actual answer but more how to derive the answer. I guess when you say predictor how did you determine this?

To recap, I have 7 columns of stats and the 8th column is 1 if the game was won and 0 if it was lost. So how do I determine what the best predictors of a win are?

Thanks

View attachment 148

Attachments

• Stats.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 35

Related to Correlation to Winning question

What is correlation?

Correlation is a statistical measure that describes the relationship between two variables. It indicates whether and how strongly pairs of variables are related to each other.

How is correlation calculated?

Correlation is calculated by using a correlation coefficient, such as Pearson's r, which ranges from -1 to 1. A positive correlation indicates a direct relationship between the variables, while a negative correlation indicates an inverse relationship.

What does a correlation of 1 mean?

A correlation coefficient of 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation, meaning that the variables are perfectly related and move in the same direction. For example, if one variable increases, the other variable also increases at a consistent rate.

Is correlation the same as causation?

No, correlation does not imply causation. Just because two variables have a strong correlation, it does not mean that one variable causes the other. There may be other factors at play that influence both variables.

How can correlation be useful?

Correlation can be useful in identifying patterns and relationships between variables, which can inform further research or practical applications. It can also help in predicting future outcomes and understanding the strength of the relationship between two variables.