Correlation between random variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correlation between random variables x and y in a given probability density function. The relevant equations for covariance and correlation coefficient are provided, and it is stated that the main task is to correctly calculate the average of the quantity in question. The speaker also mentions being confused about finding the variance and requests assistance.
Evo8

Homework Statement

Find correlation between random variables x and y in the following:
$$P_{x,y}(x,y)=A \ xy \ e^{-(x^2)}e^{-\frac{y^2}{2}}u(x)u(y)$$

Homework Equations

The co-variance ##\sigma_{xy}=\overline{(x-\bar{x})(y-\bar{y})}## or ##\sigma_{xy}=\overline{xy}-\bar{x}\bar{y}##

The concept of co variance is a natural extension of the concept of variance. Definition -> ##\sigma_{x}^{2}=\overline{(x-\bar{x})(x-\bar{x})}##

Variables x and y are uncorrelated ##(\sigma_{xy}=0)## if ##\overline{xy}=\bar{x}\bar{y}##

Correlation coefficient ##\rho_{xy}=\frac{\sigma_{xy}}{\sigma{x}\sigma{y}}## if x and y are uncorrelated then ##\rho_{xy}=0##

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive solved for A in a previous problem with the same values and came up with ##A=\frac{2}{3}##

Im a little confused as to how I go about finding the "correlation" between x and y in this problem. I've posted a few points from my text that seem like they are relevant or helpful. Am I basically trying to find the correlation coefficient ##\rho_{xy}## and that will give me the correlation? From the definition above I need to know ##\sigma{xy} \ and \ \sigma{x} \ and \ sigma{y}##

I don't really under stand how to find the variance i guess? Even with the definition above. How do I incorporate the bars? Averages?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah. If you have the explicit equation for P(x,y) and you know what are the possible values x and y can take, then you can calculate the quantities you have listed in your relevant section. As you say, the main thing is to use the correct equation for the average of a quantity.

hint: it is slightly more complicated than the 1 variable case, because you have a pdf which depends on two random variables x and y. But hopefully you remember the equation for the average in this case? (Or have it written down somewhere?)

Related to Correlation between random variables

What is the definition of correlation between random variables?

Correlation between random variables is a statistical measure that describes the relationship between two or more random variables. It indicates how closely the variables are related and the direction of their relationship.

How is correlation between random variables calculated?

The most commonly used measure of correlation is the Pearson correlation coefficient. It is calculated by dividing the covariance of the two variables by the product of their standard deviations.

What does a correlation coefficient of 0 mean?

A correlation coefficient of 0 means that there is no linear relationship between the two variables. However, it does not necessarily mean that there is no relationship at all between the variables.

Can a correlation between random variables be negative?

Yes, a correlation between random variables can be negative. This indicates a negative linear relationship between the variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases.

What is a strong correlation between random variables?

A strong correlation between random variables is typically considered to be above 0.7 or below -0.7. This indicates a strong linear relationship between the variables, meaning that they are closely related and tend to vary together.