Correct units to derive Ryberg Constant in ev

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the hydrogen spectrum and finding the Rydberg constant of 13.605... eV. There was also a question about the significance of R (1/n^2-1) converging to R as n gets large and finding a consistent set of units for the constants in R. The source mentioned was Wikipedia, but the person was having trouble converting units to get the correct answer. Eventually, it was determined that using the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.60e-19 J would give the correct result.
BWV
Putting together a spreadsheet to calculate the hydrogen spectrum, cannot seem to get the right mix of units to get the Rydberg constant of 13.605... eV

also, what is the significance of R (1/n^2-1) converging to R as n gets large?

can anyone put this together or refer me to a source that lists this out? Going through my text and Wikipedia I am way off

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
I don't understand why this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_constant can't help you. It contains everything you need.

Just looking for a what would comprise a consistent set of units for the constants in R, for example h is defined as either eV-s or J-s

If you use MKS units (meters, kilograms, seconds, coulombs, and units derived from them) in the calculation, you should get energy in joules (J). Then convert to eV using the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.60e-19 J.

Otherwise you'll have to show us exactly what you've done already, so we can spot your mistake. Please do this in the Advanced Physics subforum of the "Homework & Coursework Help" forum, not here; this forum is for discussion, not help on specific assignments.

jtbell said:
If you use MKS units (meters, kilograms, seconds, coulombs, and units derived from them) in the calculation, you should get energy in joules (J). Then convert to eV using the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.60e-19 J.
thanks, everything works but the conversion to eV

9ff35fae0af4bff7855be82159314730.png

this is the equation I used and the units are not Joules. The wiki article says to multiply by hc but that is something like 10^-28 so you can't get to 13.6 eV that way

Last edited:
Well hc is approx 3*10^8 x 6.63*10^(-34) which is approx 2*10^(-25) which multiplied by 1.1*10^7 is approx 2.2*10^(-18) which devided by 1.6*10^(-19) is approx 13.6 in units of eV.

You may, of course, use a calculator for more precision, but I don't think it's necessary.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Well hc is approx 3*10^8 x 6.63*10^(-34) which is approx 2*10^(-25) which multiplied by 1.1*10^7 is approx 2.2*10^(-18) which devided by 1.6*10^(-19) is approx 13.6 eV.

You may, of course, use a calculator for more precision, but I think it's not necessary.

thanks, the last step was what I was missing

Related to Correct units to derive Ryberg Constant in ev

What is the Rydberg Constant in ev?

The Rydberg Constant in ev is a fundamental physical constant that represents the energy difference between the ground state and first excited state of a hydrogen atom in electron volts (ev). It is equal to 13.605693122994 eV.

Why is it important to use the correct units when deriving the Rydberg Constant in ev?

The Rydberg Constant is a unit-specific constant, meaning its value changes depending on the units used. In order to accurately derive the Rydberg Constant in ev, it is important to use the correct units to ensure the correct numerical value is obtained.

What are the commonly used units to derive the Rydberg Constant in ev?

The most commonly used units to derive the Rydberg Constant in ev are electron volts (ev), meters (m), and joules (J). These units are often used in the equations and formulas used to calculate the Rydberg Constant in ev.

How can I convert the Rydberg Constant from one unit to another?

You can convert the Rydberg Constant from one unit to another by using conversion factors. For example, to convert from electron volts (ev) to joules (J), you can use the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.60218 x 10^-19 J. You can also use online conversion calculators for convenience.

What is the significance of the Rydberg Constant in ev in the study of atomic physics?

The Rydberg Constant in ev is a fundamental constant in atomic physics that is used to calculate the energy levels of hydrogen atoms. It is also used in the study of atomic spectra, allowing scientists to identify the elements present in a substance based on the specific wavelengths of light emitted. Additionally, it serves as a unit conversion factor for other physical constants and equations in atomic physics.