Correct formula for deflection of a falling object

In summary, the conversation discusses different formulas for calculating the deflection of an object falling from 100 meters. Some sources say the deflection should be 3cm, while NASA's formula gives a deflection of .16mm. There is also a discrepancy in the angular rotation rate of the Earth given by NASA. The conversation concludes with a possible explanation for the factor of 3 difference in the formulas.
davidwinth
Hello,

I found a derivation on NASA and several others that say something different. Can someone tell me which is correct? They differ by a factor of 3. This is confusing because some places say an object falling from 100m should deflect by 3cm but NASA says .16mm. Those are more different than a factor of 3, so I am not understanding what the correct formula is.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/falling_eastward.htm

http://hepweb.ucsd.edu/ph110b/110b_notes/node14.html

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an answer to your question, but the two linked problems are not the same. One is for 32 degrees latitude and the other for 42 degrees.

From the Nasa Article: "With
w.gif
= 7.27 x 10-7/sec"

What is the angular rotation rate of the Earth in radians/sec?

jbriggs444 said:
From the Nasa Article: "With View attachment 205117 = 7.27 x 10-7/sec"

What is the angular rotation rate of the Earth in radians/sec?

I get 2*pi/(24*3600) = 7.3E-5. Is NASA wrong on such a basic thing?

davidwinth said:
I get 2*pi/(24*3600) = 7.3E-5. Is NASA wrong on such a basic thing?
Anyone can slip a couple of digits. Especially if they fail to sanity-check their work.

Sanity-check: The difference in velocity of a ball at 100 m altitude and the ground at 0 m altitude is the same as that of a ball moving in a 100 m radius circle once every 24 hours (*). That's 2 pi times 100 m every 86400 seconds. Multiply that by a 4.5 second fall time and you get 3 cm. [Rather than trying to do a double integral of Coriolis acceleration in the rotating frame, I'm just using the inertial frame. We have a moving object falling onto a more slowly moving surface]

You sanity-check the 4.5 second fall time by reasoning that a 5 meter fall time is 1 second and that 100 meters is a factor of 20 farther so the fall time should be ##\sqrt{20}## times longer. 20 is about halfway between 16 and 25, so its square root should be about halfway between 4 and 5.

(*) We're using the back of an envelope and need not worry about sidereal versus solar days. And I'm doing my back of the envelope at the equator.

Thanks! Do you know where the factor of 3 came from in the non-NASA formulas? I have found several derivations and they all include that factor.

davidwinth said:
Thanks! Do you know where the factor of 3 came from in the NASA formula?
They were integrating ##gt^2##. The integral is ##\frac{1}{3}gt^3##.

Edit: or perhaps you were referring to this factor of 3...

With h = 1000 m, l = 42 deg, we find

t = 14.3 sec
Multiply height by a factor of 10 and you've multiplied fall time by a factor of approximately 3

Last edited:

Related to Correct formula for deflection of a falling object

1. What is the formula for calculating the deflection of a falling object?

The formula for calculating the deflection of a falling object is: d = (1/2)gt^2 where d is the deflection, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and t is the time in seconds.

2. How is this formula derived?

The formula for deflection of a falling object is derived using the equation of motion for a freely falling object, which is: d = (1/2)at^2, where a is the acceleration due to gravity. By substituting g for a, we get the formula for deflection.

3. Is this formula applicable to all falling objects?

Yes, this formula is applicable to all falling objects, regardless of their mass or shape. However, air resistance and other external factors may affect the actual deflection of the object.

4. Can this formula be used for objects falling from a height other than ground level?

Yes, this formula can be used for objects falling from any height as long as the initial velocity is zero. If the object has an initial velocity, the formula for deflection becomes: d = (1/2)v0t + (1/2)gt^2, where v0 is the initial velocity.

5. How accurate is this formula in predicting the deflection of a falling object?

This formula is accurate for objects falling in a vacuum, where there is no air resistance. However, in real-life scenarios, air resistance and other external factors may affect the actual deflection of the object, making the formula less accurate.