Correct exaggerated drawing of tides

In summary: The tidal force is a force exerted by the gravitational attraction of the moon and other celestial bodies on the ocean's water.
twain
Hi. Some books explain tides as a result of the gravitational pull of the moon with an exaggerated drawing like A below.

It seems to me that A is not correct, but B and C are more like it. Because the moon pulls all water towards it, not just one side.

Which is correct and WHY?

Attachments

• Image2.gif
    Image2.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
A is correct.

Check here for a discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide

You can also try "tidal effects" in general relativity, but thatmay be more complex a discussion.

That seems a long read. Where does it say A is correct?

Let me just rephrase the question: Is the radius of the ocean the same on both sides and WHY?

That seems a long read. Where does it say A is correct?

Anyone who can't be bothered to read through relatively short passages like the wiki referred to would be best advised to try a non technical subject instead.

I scrolled down the wiki and within the first 15% came across a diagram, identical to A with a simple and easy explanation attached.

What more do you want?

I scrolled down the wiki

In other words you did not READ the wiki, thank you for agreeing with me that it is too long a read.

What more do you want?

I do not see the answer to the following below.

Is the radius of the ocean the same on both sides and WHY?

Having now read the whole part about that diagram, it does not give a reason why the equipotential surface of the tidal force should have two bulges. Let alone two bulges of equal height from the center.

Naty1 said:
Check here for a discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide

twain said:
Having now read the whole part about that diagram, it does not give a reason why the equipotential surface of the tidal force should have two bulges. Let alone two bulges of equal height from the center.

I agree that the wikipedia article about 'tide' does not offer explanation for the fact that planetary tidal effects give rise to two tidal bulges, on opposite sides of the planet.

However, there is also the wikipedia article about 'tidal force'.
The page with the two-panel diagram http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tidal-forces.png" specifically explains the dual bulge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Correct exaggerated drawing of tides

1. What is an exaggerated drawing of tides?

An exaggerated drawing of tides is a representation of the ocean's tides that is not to scale and is intentionally exaggerated for the purpose of visual clarity or emphasis. It is often used in educational materials and presentations to illustrate the concept of tides.

2. Why do scientists use exaggerated drawings of tides?

Scientists use exaggerated drawings of tides to make the concept of tides easier to understand for non-experts. By exaggerating the size or height of the tides, it can help people visualize and comprehend the complex forces and factors that contribute to the movement of ocean tides.

3. Are exaggerated drawings of tides accurate?

No, exaggerated drawings of tides are not accurate representations of the actual tides. They are meant to be simplified and exaggerated for educational and illustrative purposes. Real tides are affected by many variables such as the moon's gravitational pull, the Earth's rotation, and the shape of the coastline.

4. How do scientists create exaggerated drawings of tides?

Scientists can create exaggerated drawings of tides using various methods such as computer simulations, mathematical models, and physical models. They take into account the different factors and variables that affect tides and adjust the scale and proportions to create an exaggerated but informative illustration.

5. Can exaggerated drawings of tides be used to predict actual tides?

No, exaggerated drawings of tides cannot be used to predict actual tides. They are simply visual aids to help explain and understand the complex phenomenon of tides. To accurately predict tides, scientists use advanced models and data analysis techniques based on real-time oceanographic data.