Correct definition of surface tension

In summary, surface tension is the energy required to increase the surface area of a liquid by a unit amount. This can be achieved by pulling the surface of the liquid in different directions. The definition in the book is from a physics perspective, where surface tension is measured as force per unit length.
mcfaker
Hi,

I have a question, because I am confused with the definition of surface tension.
In my book it is defined as follows:
"Surface tension is the energy required to increase the surface area of a liquid
by a unit amount"

What do they mean with increasing the surface area, how do you do that? If I take a glass with water it will look like this:
4fe8941a4cfed29c937e22f848dc410f.png

I don't think there is any possible way to increase A. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
(A) in your diagram is a flat plane basically. Its surface area can be increased by pulling it upward or downward in the middle for example.

The definition in your book is a little confusing because it is from a physics perspective and that is how surface tension is measured; force/length (N/m)

350px-Surface_Tension_Diagram.svg.png

Related to Correct definition of surface tension

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that acts on the surface of a liquid, causing it to behave like an elastic sheet. It is the result of the cohesive forces between molecules at the surface of the liquid.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm). The most common method of measurement is using a tensiometer, which measures the force needed to pull a wire or ring from the surface of a liquid.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by temperature, type of liquid, and presence of impurities. Generally, surface tension decreases with increasing temperature and with the addition of impurities. Different liquids have different surface tensions due to variations in their molecular structures.

4. How does surface tension impact everyday life?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many everyday phenomena, such as the formation of droplets, the movement of liquids through capillaries, and the floating of objects on the surface of water. It also helps insects and some animals to walk on water.

5. Can surface tension be changed?

Yes, surface tension can be changed by altering the properties of the liquid or by adding substances that affect the cohesive forces between molecules. For example, adding soap to water can decrease surface tension, making it easier to create bubbles.