Coriolis effect on ballistics and old chart

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of the Coriolis force on naval gunfire and the confusion around the deflection values listed in a gunnery guide. It is determined that the values listed are the net effect of various factors, including the Coriolis force, and that shots fired at 0 degrees (north) and 180 degrees (south) will experience a westward deflection due to the vertical component of the Coriolis force. This is explained by the chart not having a column for "short" or "long" shots, and the fact that shots fired at 0 degrees (north) and 180 degrees (south) tend to deflect rightward (east) due to the horizontal component and leftward (
davidwinth
Hello,

I was looking through an old Naval gunnery guide that tabulates deflections due to the Coriolis effect. I must be reading this wrong or I don't understand how they are reckoning direction. If I am at the equator and I shoot north, shouldn't the bullet deflect the the right of the target? This table seems to indicate that the bullet will deflect to the left.

What is going on?

Thanks.
FC-APPENDIX-B-PAGE-451.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible they are tabulating how the aim should be deflected?

Likes sophiecentaur
davidwinth said:
I don't understand how they are reckoning direction.

Huh? "True target bearing" is the direction.

A. Could it be a Southern Hemisphere table?

B. More generally, it would help to post the instructions for using that table, if you have them.

Vanadium 50 said:
Could it be a Southern Hemisphere table?
"For north latitude use bearing at top of table. For south latitude use bearing at bottom of table."

Vanadium 50 said:
B. More generally, it would help to post the instructions for using that table, if you have them.
Agreed. However, I still suspect this is how the aim should be deflected relative to the true target.

davidwinth said:
If I am at the equator and I shoot north, shouldn't the bullet deflect the the right of the target?

Would't that depend on the elevation? A horizontal shot should be deflected to East. A vertical shot would be deflected to West. I have no idea which effect dominates for real shots.

DrStupid said:
Would't that depend on the elevation? A horizontal shot should be deflected to East. A vertical shot would be deflected to West. I have no idea which effect dominates for real shots.
At non-trivial ranges, naval gunfire generally involves a target which is at approximately the same elevation as the firing platform. An 8 inch 55 mount is not well suited for anti-aircraft work.

jbriggs444 said:
At non-trivial ranges, naval gunfire generally involves a target which is at approximately the same elevation as the firing platform.

I am talking about the angle of the barrel.

Likes FactChecker and jbriggs444
DrStupid said:
I am talking about the angle of the barrel.
I stand corrected.

The vertical arc of the shot explains the consistently westward deviations seen in the chart for 0 degrees latitude. That westward bias due to the vertical arc is still present at other latitudes but is swamped by Coriolis due to the horizontal velocity.

I believe that you have answered the question in the OP.

DrStupid said:

Yes, so I think that may be the key. There is also a correction chart for the change in range due to the rotation of the Earth in that same gun's guide. Tell me if I am thinking about this correctly now. Since the chart is made for a specific gun and a specific initial velocity, the chart has to include things such as how high you would elevate the barrel of that particular gun to hit a target at the tabulated range, time of flight, projectile aerodynamic properties, and whatever else there is. So the tabulated values are really the net effect of those things taken together not specifically only the Coriolis effect. Is that correct now? That make sense since this is a gunners book to be used in the field quickly.

Also, here is a link to the other corrections if other people are interested.

http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/FC-APPENDIX-B-8IN-55.html

davidwinth said:
Tell me if I am thinking about this correctly now. Since the chart is made for a specific gun and a specific initial velocity, the chart has to include things such as how high you would elevate the barrel of that particular gun to hit a target at the tabulated range, time of flight, projectile aerodynamic properties, and whatever else there is. So the tabulated values are really the net effect of those things taken together not specifically only the Coriolis effect. Is that correct now?

The values are derived from all of those things, yes.

One question I have is why are the values negative only for the 0 and 10 degree tables? The difference in eastward horizontal velocity between the gun and the target because of the Coriolis effect makes it so that you would have to deflect the gun westward (negative values on the chart) to correct for this when the target is at another latitude. That effect appears to only increase as latitude increases. What other effect am I missing here?

Drakkith said:
One question I have is why are the values negative only for the 0 and 10 degree tables?
@DrStupid has identified the relevant effect. At the equator, Coriolis is negligible for a projectile on a horizontal path regardless of its direction. However, Coriolis is not negligible for a projectile fired vertically. Such a projectile will be deflected westward. The higher the shooting angle (and the more powerful the propellant charge)(*), the higher the shot and the greater the westward deflection. This is reflected in the chart for 0 degrees. All of those listed corrections reflect a purely westward drift. The chart does not have a column for "short" or "long", so shots at 90 degrees (east) or 270 degrees (west) are listed with no correction.

A 0 degree (north) shot is deflected west (left).
A 180 degree (south) shot is deflected west (right).

At higher latitudes, the westward bias due to vertical Coriolis is still present, but it is swamped by the horizontal component. Shots at 0 degrees (north) tend to deflect rightward (east) due to the horizontal component and leftward (west) due to the vertical component. Shots at 180 degrees (south) tend to deflect west/right due to both components.

(*) Edit: A quick Google search indicates that 8"/55 has a 2500 fps muzzle velocity on a full propellant charge. The chart presented in this thread does not contemplate the use of a reduced charge for short ranges.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
jbriggs444 said:
However, Coriolis is not negligible for a projectile fired vertically. Such a projectile will be deflected westward.

Okay. I had to look up more information on the Coriolis force, as I had no idea that a vertically fired projectile would drift west. I think things are starting to make sense now. :rolleyes:

This is much more complicated than it appears at first. It would depend on the elevation shooting angle of the gun, the velocities of the shell while ascending versus descending, and the usual Coriolis of level flight. It's a difficult combination to figure out and the answers in the table show a resulting complicated pattern.
I suspect that the table results were first obtained experimentally rather than analytically.

FactChecker said:
I suspect that the table results were first obtained experimentally rather than analytically.
I suspect that results today are not obtained analytically either, but using computer simulation.

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
Probably done analytically at first and then verified experimentally (with a bit of feedback by tiffling of the coefficients, no doubt).

Orodruin said:
I suspect that results today are not obtained analytically either, but using computer simulation.

The trend has been to go to guided munitions where this is not relevant. Modern guns have a "fire controller" instead of tables. I honestly don't know if they use lookup tables or analytic functions nor what difference that makes. It's essentially "I want the shell to hit over here" and "then these are your gun settings".

Vanadium 50 said:
The trend has been to go to guided munitions where this is not relevant.
I would rephrase that to say that they are adjusted for, rather than irrelevant. That's along with other forces like winds, gravity, etc. But smart munitions are not universally used. There are still a lot of dumb ballistic munitions in the world.

1. How does the Coriolis effect impact ballistics?

The Coriolis effect refers to the apparent deflection of objects moving along a straight path on the Earth's surface due to the Earth's rotation. In the case of ballistics, this means that a projectile's trajectory may be slightly altered due to the rotation of the Earth. This effect is most noticeable over long distances and depends on the direction and speed of the projectile, as well as the latitude of the launch site.

2. Does the Coriolis effect affect all types of projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis effect can impact the trajectory of any object in motion on the Earth's surface, including bullets, missiles, and artillery shells. However, the effect is most noticeable for objects traveling at high speeds and over long distances, which is why it is most commonly studied in the context of ballistics.

3. How does the Coriolis effect impact old chart data?

The Coriolis effect was not fully understood or accounted for in old chart data. This means that old charts may not accurately reflect the true path of projectiles due to the Earth's rotation. As a result, it is important to consider the Coriolis effect when analyzing old chart data, particularly for long-range ballistics.

4. Can the Coriolis effect be predicted and accounted for in ballistics calculations?

Yes, the Coriolis effect can be predicted and accounted for in ballistics calculations. There are various mathematical models and equations that can be used to estimate the impact of the Coriolis effect on a projectile's trajectory. However, due to the complex nature of the effect and the many variables involved, these calculations may not always be 100% accurate.

5. Is the Coriolis effect the only factor that affects ballistics?

No, the Coriolis effect is just one of many factors that can impact ballistics. Other factors include air resistance, wind, temperature, elevation, and the shape and weight of the projectile. These factors must all be taken into account when conducting ballistics calculations and making predictions about a projectile's trajectory.