Core falling out of electromagnet

In summary, the conversation is about trying to levitate an iron core at a specific position using an electromagnet. The question is how to calculate the minimum current needed to prevent the core from falling out at the bottom and whether there is an equation to determine the position of the core with more current. The speaker clarifies that the core is not held in place mechanically, and provides information about the setup, including the dimensions and number of turns on the coil. They also mention the importance of the core's permeability and the need for a formula to determine the critical current.
lujacobs
Hello,

I'm trying to levitate the iron core of an electromagnet at a certain postion. How can I calculate what the minimum currennt is that I need to put on the electromagnet to prevent the core from falling out at the bottom?

Is there an equation to know at what position the core will be if I put more current on it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand this. The core of an electromagnet is magnetised by the current solenoid, and is held in place mechanically. Why would it fall out and what would stop it?

Is is not held in place machanically. It is just a solenoid with an iron core in it.

Last edited:
There is no easy formula to calculate this, and the geometry of the setup is important.

The outer diameter of the solenoid is 38mm, the inner diameter is 14mm.
The diameter of the core is 12.5mm. Both are 70mm long.
The number of turns on the coil is 335.
I don't know what the permeability of the core is, but I approximate it at 10000*mu_0. But I can verify this experimentally, when I know the correct formula for the current at which the core will fall.

Related to Core falling out of electromagnet

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The coil of wire is wrapped around a magnetic core, which can be made of iron or other materials. When the electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field that magnetizes the core, making it act like a magnet.

2. How does a core fall out of an electromagnet?

A core can fall out of an electromagnet if the adhesive or fasteners holding it in place fail, or if the core becomes demagnetized and loses its magnetic attraction to the electromagnet.

3. What are the potential consequences of a core falling out of an electromagnet?

The consequences of a core falling out of an electromagnet can vary depending on the situation. In some cases, it may simply result in the loss of the magnetic properties of the electromagnet. However, in more serious cases, it can cause damage to equipment or machinery that relies on the magnetic field of the electromagnet.

4. How can I prevent a core from falling out of an electromagnet?

To prevent a core from falling out of an electromagnet, it is important to use high-quality adhesive or fasteners to secure the core in place. Regular maintenance and checks of the electromagnet can also help detect any potential issues before they escalate.

5. Can a core that has fallen out of an electromagnet be fixed?

In some cases, a core that has fallen out of an electromagnet may be able to be fixed by reattaching it with a strong adhesive or replacing any damaged parts. However, if the core itself is demagnetized, it may need to be replaced entirely to restore the electromagnet's functionality.