Coordinates of a particle (coupled differential equations)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the differential for the complex variable z, using equations for a particle's coordinates in the xy plane. Through substitution, the equation \dot{z}-iωz=0 is obtained and solved to find z as a function of time. The integration constant z_0 is then expressed as a complex number with a phase angle, resulting in the final solution z=z_0e^{i(\omega t + \phi)}.
Linday12

Homework Statement

I'm given two equations for coordinates of a certain particle in the xy plane, [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]+ωy=0
and [itex]\dot{y}[/itex]-ωx=0.
Then using the complex variable z=x+iy, find the differential for z, and solve it. Hence give x and y as functions of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how this is gotten:
[itex]\dot{z}[/itex]-iωz=0

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Linday12! :smile:

Can you write [itex]\dot z[/itex] in terms of x and y?
And then substitute the equations you have?

Can you also write iωz in terms of x and y?

Hi. I'm not really sure what to do. As far as I know, taking [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]+i[itex]\dot{y}[/itex], and [itex]\dot{y}[/itex]=ωx and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]=-ωy, which doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I have no idea what I am doing.

Linday12 said:
Hi. I'm not really sure what to do. As far as I know, taking [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]+i[itex]\dot{y}[/itex], and [itex]\dot{y}[/itex]=ωx and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]=-ωy, which doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I have no idea what I am doing.

So substitute your 2nd and 3rd equation in the first?

Yes. I then get [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=-ωy+iωx=ω(-y+ix). So I can sort of see the relation here now, except my variables seem to be the wrong way, and I have no idea where the [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]-iωz=o comes from still, because i would be gone if the variables were the proper way and I subbed in z for the x-iy.

What is iz in terms of x and y?

Wow, interesting. So [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]=iωz → [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]-iωz=0 because iz=ix-y. Thank you! Sorry, one more question. Now that I have that, when solving it I get z=[itex]z_{0}[/itex][itex]e^{ωt}[/itex], but the answer has an additional phase angle [itex]\phi[/itex] in it, so I was just wondering if there was a quick explanation for that.

It's been a while since I did any differentials (I haven't had a class in them yet), I think perhaps I'm used to the general formula that includes the phase angle in the constant z_0, but if you were to solve it you would get ln(z)=iωt+c, which is where the phase angle came from, but then where does the z_0 come from? Because the answer is z=z_0[itex]e^{ωt+\phi}[/itex] Sorry, I hope that makes sense.

Your z0 is the integration constant that is itself a complex number.
Write [itex]z_0=r_0e^{i\phi}[/itex] and you get:
[tex]z=z_0e^{i\omega t}=r_0e^{i\phi}e^{i\omega t}=r_0e^{i(\omega t + \phi)}[/tex]

Btw, note the extra [itex]i[/itex] and the use of the non-negative real number r0 instead of z0.

Related to Coordinates of a particle (coupled differential equations)

1. What are coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are a set of two or more differential equations that are dependent on each other. This means that the variables in one equation can affect the variables in the other equation, and vice versa.

2. How do you solve coupled differential equations?

There are various methods for solving coupled differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. It is important to carefully consider the initial conditions and boundary conditions when solving these equations.

3. What are the applications of coupled differential equations?

Coupled differential equations are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model systems where multiple variables are interdependent, such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and circuit analysis.

4. How do you represent the coordinates of a particle using coupled differential equations?

The coordinates of a particle can be represented using coupled differential equations by defining the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle as functions of time. These functions can then be coupled together to describe the motion of the particle in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.

5. What are some common challenges in working with coupled differential equations?

One common challenge in working with coupled differential equations is determining the appropriate initial conditions and boundary conditions. Another challenge is finding an analytical solution, as it is often necessary to use numerical methods to solve these equations. Additionally, coupled differential equations can become very complex and difficult to solve, requiring advanced mathematical techniques and computational tools.