Coordinate Transformation - velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a special transformation for converting a velocity vector from one coordinate system to another. The transformation matrix from ENU-coordinates to ECEF is referenced, and it is noted that the transformation works fine for position vectors but not for velocity vectors. The idea of transformation laws for vector quantities is mentioned and a book on the topic is recommended for further understanding.
FrogPad
If I have a velocity vector V in some coordinate system. Is there anything special that needs to be done to convert V -> V' ?

Basically, I have a matrix (N x 3) in north-east-down coordinates. I am trying to convert (a row at a time_ to another matrix (N x 3) to earth-centered-earth-fixed coordinates.

When I do the transformations with positions, it seems okay. When I do the transformation with velocity "positions" it seems messed up?

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
From,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_system

The transformation matrix from ENU-coordinates to ECEF is:
16a633282014bfdae7efd24bfa65d47d.png

Figure 1 - Transformation Matrix

Working with this, I have found that when (x,y,z) and (Xr, Yr, Zr) represent positions vectors, the transformation works fine.

However, when (x,y,z) and (Xr, Yr, Zr) are velocity vectors... actually, I think I just answered my own question.

I only have (Xr, Yr, Zr) as a position-vector. And (x,y,z) as a velocity-vector.

Okay... how about this? In general terms, does Figure 1 - Transformation Matrix work for transforming velocity vectors?

FrogPad said:
If I have a velocity vector V in some coordinate system. Is there anything special that needs to be done to convert V -> V' ?

Basically, I have a matrix (N x 3) in north-east-down coordinates. I am trying to convert (a row at a time_ to another matrix (N x 3) to earth-centered-earth-fixed coordinates.

When I do the transformations with positions, it seems okay. When I do the transformation with velocity "positions" it seems messed up?

Any ideas?
There are transformation laws for a vector of rank-one either covariant or contravariant. Velocity is a vector quantity. it must obey a transformation law. For more detail check the book: Tensor Analysis by Sokonikoff

Related to Coordinate Transformation - velocity?

1. What is Coordinate Transformation - velocity?

Coordinate Transformation - velocity refers to the process of converting velocity measurements from one coordinate system to another. This is often necessary in scientific research and engineering, where different coordinate systems are used to describe the motion of objects.

2. Why is Coordinate Transformation - velocity important?

Coordinate Transformation - velocity is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects in different coordinate systems. This is essential for understanding complex systems and making accurate predictions.

3. What are the different types of Coordinate Transformation - velocity?

There are several types of Coordinate Transformation - velocity, including linear transformations, rotational transformations, and Galilean transformations. Each type is used for different types of motion and can involve different mathematical equations.

4. How is Coordinate Transformation - velocity calculated?

The calculation of Coordinate Transformation - velocity involves using mathematical equations to convert the velocity measurements from one coordinate system to another. This can be done manually using formulas or with computer software.

5. What are some real-world applications of Coordinate Transformation - velocity?

Coordinate Transformation - velocity is used in various fields, including aerospace engineering, robotics, and physics. It is also essential for applications such as GPS navigation, satellite communication, and motion analysis in sports and biomechanics.