Coordinate transformation of nabla operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the Galilean group of transformations and how to transform the Nabla operator using two specific transformations and the expression "nabla (x)". The conversation also addresses the transformation of a second derivative under a time-changing transformation. The summary also mentions the use of the chain rule in transforming the Nabla operator.
Marin
Hi all!

I am studying the Galilean group of transformations and I'm not sure how to transform the Nabla operator.

Consider the 2 transformations:

(x,t)->(x+s,t)
(x,t)->(Dx,t)

and the expression "nabla (x)"

where D is a matrix and x, s are vectors

I am pretty sure that I have to substitute x+s or Dx for x, but what about the nabla operator. How am I supposed to transform it?

And another question: If I have a transformation which somehow changes time (t->t+T), and a second derivative dx(t)/dt of a function, then does the derivative change its variable from t to t+T [dx(t+T)/d(t+T)] under the transformation or not?

thanks a lot in advance

best regards, marin

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule. If x'= ax+ d y'= by+ e and z'= cz+ e, or [itex]<x', y', z'>= <ax+ d, by+ d, cz+ e>[/itex] then
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x'}\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}= a\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]
so that
[tex]\nabla \left<f, g, \right>= \eft< a\frac{\partial f}{\partial x'}, b\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}, c\frac{\partial f}{\partial z'}\right>[/tex]

Related to Coordinate transformation of nabla operator

1. What is the nabla operator?

The nabla operator, also known as del or gradient operator, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus to represent the gradient of a scalar field or the divergence of a vector field.

2. Why is coordinate transformation of nabla operator important?

Coordinate transformation of nabla operator is important because it allows us to express physical laws and equations in different coordinate systems, making it easier to solve problems and analyze data in various contexts.

3. How does coordinate transformation affect the nabla operator?

Coordinate transformation affects the nabla operator by changing its form and components in different coordinate systems. It is necessary to use transformation rules to adjust the nabla operator to the new coordinate system.

4. What are the common coordinate transformation methods used for the nabla operator?

The most common coordinate transformation methods used for the nabla operator are Cartesian to polar coordinates, Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates, and Cartesian to spherical coordinates. Other methods such as Jacobian transformation and tensor transformation can also be used.

5. Are there any limitations to coordinate transformation of nabla operator?

Yes, there are limitations to coordinate transformation of nabla operator. It can only be applied to vector and scalar fields, and not to other mathematical objects such as tensors. Additionally, it is important to properly consider boundary conditions and singularities when performing coordinate transformations.