Coordinate transformation and metric tensor

In summary, the general four-dimensional (symmetric) metric tensor has 10 algebraic independent components. However, the transformation of coordinates allows for the choice of four components of the metric tensor almost arbitrarily. The amount of freedom in choosing these components depends on whether it is at a particular point or globally. If it is only at a particular point, it can always be put into the form diag(-1,1,1,1) due to the equivalence principle. However, if it is desired for this form to hold globally, it may be impossible for an arbitrary given metric. Furthermore, while the general two-dimensional metric can be transformed into an orthogonal traceless form, it is more difficult to say the same for the four-dimensional metric. Special
archipatelin
General four-dimensional (symmetric) metric tensor has 10 algebraic independent components.

But transformation of coordinates allows choose four components of metric tensor almost arbitrarily.

My question is how much freedom is in choose this components?

Do exist for most general metric any coordinates transformation
[tex] g_{\mu\nu}(x)\rightarrow\tilde{g}_{\mu\nu}(\tilde{x})[/tex] which transforming matric to new form?

[tex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{cccc}
-1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \tilde{g}11 & \tilde{g}12 & \tilde{g}13\\
0 & \tilde{g}12 & \tilde{g}22 & \tilde{g}23\\
0 & \tilde{g}13 & \tilde{g}23 & \tilde{g}33 \end{array} \right)\]
[/tex]

Or​

[tex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{cccc}
-1 & \tilde{g}01 & \tilde{g}02 & \tilde{g}02 \\
\tilde{g}01 & \tilde{g}11 & 0 & 0\\
\tilde{g}02 & 0 & \tilde{g}22 & 0\\
\tilde{g}03 & 0 & 0 & \tilde{g}33 \end{array} \right)\]
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want it to have this form at a particular point, or globally?

If all you want is a particular point, then you can always put it in the form diag(-1,1,1,1). This is guaranteed by the equivalence principle.

If you want this to happen globally, then I'm pretty sure it's impossible, for an arbitrary given metric. For example, I think the first form you gave has no rotation, but spacetimes like the Godel universe have rotation that you can't get rid of by a change of coordinates.

bcrowell said:
Do you want it to have this form at a particular point, or globally?
I mean globally transformation.

I know that the general two-dimensional metric can be transformed into the orthogonal traceless form

[tex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
g_{00}(t,x) & g_{01}(t,x) \\
g_{01}(t,x) & g_{11}(t,x) \end{array} \right)\rightarrow
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
h(\tau,\chi) & 0 \\
0 & -h(\tau,\chi) \end{array} \right).
\]
[/tex]​

What can we say about the transformation coordinates for general four-dimensional metric?

Last edited:
archipatelin said:
I mean globally transformation.

I know that the general two-dimensional metric can be transformed into the orthogonal traceless form

[tex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{cc}
g_{00}(t,x) & g_{01}(t,x) \\
g_{01}(t,x) & g_{11}(t,x) \end{array} \right)\rightarrow
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
h(\tau,\chi) & 0 \\
0 & -h(\tau,\chi) \end{array} \right).
\]
[/tex]​

What can we say about the transformation coordinates for general four-dimensional metric?
Then I think the answer is what I said in #2: there's not much you can do in general.

Keep in mind that you typically can't write down the metric for an entire spacetime in a single coordinate chart, so not only can you not put the metric in a special form, you can't put it in *any* form.

Maybe there is something more that can be said about special forms of the metric on an open neighborhood of any point. Certainly there are special forms in an open neighborhood if you have some kind of symmetry (static, stationary, ...).

Related to Coordinate transformation and metric tensor

1. What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process used to convert coordinates from one coordinate system to another. This is often necessary in scientific research when working with different systems of measurement or when comparing data from different sources.

2. Why is a coordinate transformation important?

A coordinate transformation is important because it allows for the comparison and analysis of data that may have been collected using different coordinate systems. It also helps to simplify and standardize calculations in scientific research.

3. What is a metric tensor?

A metric tensor is a mathematical object that is used to describe the geometry of a space. It is a matrix of numbers that represents the relationship between different coordinate systems and allows for the calculation of distances and angles in that space.

4. How is a metric tensor used in coordinate transformation?

In coordinate transformation, the metric tensor is used to convert coordinates from one system to another. It provides the necessary information to calculate the change in distance and angle between the two coordinate systems.

5. Can a coordinate transformation be done in any direction?

Yes, a coordinate transformation can be done in any direction as long as the necessary information, such as the metric tensor, is available. However, the process may be more complex and require additional calculations for certain transformations.