I'm curious what you think of meditation or your own experiences

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of meditation and its effects on the brain. The relaxation response, stress response, and various neurotransmitters are mentioned as being linked to meditation. A study on the brain activity of Buddhists during meditation is also mentioned. Some participants have had personal experiences with meditation, but others are skeptical of its effects.
jammieg
I'm curious what you think of meditation or your own experiences.

There is this thing called the relaxation response, when a person meditates regularly it's supposed to equip them with a kind of tool to prevent the flight or fight response, assuming in modern day society this response is typically not practical. Also, the adrenaline response is a stress response experienced many times throughout the day in small doses, stress is linked to heart disease and some other things but the point is it is detrimental and could partly cause many ailments- that is still up for debate.
In my own experience 30 minutes of meditation a day or every other day aids clarity of thought and action, it puts one more in control, and makes one more aware. I've had a few lucid dream states that resulted in euphoria the likes of eating a giant chocolate bar, only instantly. Another weird thing I picked up from meditation is a trick or aid to remembering to do certain things at a certain time of day, simply by visualizing doing those things at that time, oddly it works 90% of the time as opposed to 10% of the time just saying to myself, "don't forget to send off the bills". How powerful is visualization and what is the relationship to meditaion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
You posted this in the wrong section.

MOD: Please move to the pseduo-science forum!

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist

Well, thank you Mr Fancy Pants...

Besides, this goes to Other Sciences.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist

Don't be so quick off the mark. The relaxation response is genuine science, reported on in mainstream peer reviewed journals and all. There's no magic about it, it's just physiology.

I heard scientists have found the location of happiness in the brain. I can't remember where it was exactly. Apparently Buddhist's brains are highly active in this area, and that their meditation is the cause of this. Has anyone got any info on this, or is it just a hoax?

Originally posted by selfAdjoint, regarding meditation.

There's no magic about it, it's just physiology.

Congratulations.

This little tiny four word statement "Meditation is just physiology" corrects the mistakes of a mass of people who have an emotional need to believe otherwise.

Not only could I have not said this better myself, but I do not believe anyone could have said this better.

Well done.

Originally posted by Lonewolf
I heard scientists have found the location of happiness in the brain. I can't remember where it was exactly. Apparently Buddhist's brains are highly active in this area, and that their meditation is the cause of this. Has anyone got any info on this, or is it just a hoax?
Ha! It's probably legit, but that's an overblown claim... there are various regions in the brain linked to pleasure, happiness, mood, etc, but how they work and interrelate is complex and far from understood.

The most commonly mentioned area for pleasure/reward is the nucleus accumbens, part of the ventral striatum. Dopaminergic neurons there are highly linked to reward and pleasure, as are connected neurons in ventral tegemental area. Certain types of pleasure, notably sexual pleasure, are linked to another brain area, the periaqueductal gray. Endogenous opioids and the neurotransmitter serotonin have also been strongly linked to happiness/mood, but I don't know if any specific areas have been implicates with these.

Many abused drugs act via one of these neurotransmitters -- eg cocaine functions by imitating dopamine in the brain, heroin by imitating endogenous opioids.

Originally posted by Lonewolf

Of course it's a hoax. There's no such thing, electrochemically, as happiness. It's just plain a hoax, and one (like myself) who knows about the brain (even half as much as I do) would know it.

Based on what you're saying, I would bet their was some buddhist agenda behind this.

^^^ That's inaccurate, LA.

I have seen studies (using fMRI or PET usually) that show higher activity in the temporal lobes during meditation, and in areas believed to be involved in spatial orientation. Have seen no studies on regions implicated in mood, but that doesn't mean much; I don't follow the area very closely.

Originally posted by damgo
^^^ That's inaccurate, LA.

I have seen studies (using fMRI or PET usually) that show higher activity in the temporal lobes during meditation, and in areas believed to be involved in spatial orientation. Have seen no studies on regions implicated in mood, but that doesn't mean much; I don't follow the area very closely.

1. What I said isn't incorrect.
2. Your response has nothing at all to do with what I said. It doesn't contradict what I said; it's a completely and totally different statement all together.
3. The two have nothing to do with each other at all.
4. What I said isn't incorrect.

It's worth mentioning that I may have been slack in terminology when I said happiness...

Argumentum ad nauseum is a fallacy. Argumentum ad nauseum is a fallacy. Argumentum ad nauseum is a fallacy. If you still don't get it, just remember argumentum ad nauseum is a fallacy.

What does that mean Hurkyl? Arguing without knowing the facts?
Has anyone here ever actually practiced meditation?

I haven't, though I've had a lot of people tell me it's very helpful -- however I'm not a very stressed person naturally, so...

Here's the article I think Lonewolf was referring to --

Meditation Shown to Light Up Brains of Buddhists
Reuters 5/22/03 - Buddhists really are happy, calm and serene people -- at least according to their brain scans...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&e=15&u=/nm/meditation_buddhists_dc [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by jammieg
What does that mean Hurkyl? Arguing without knowing the facts?
Has anyone here ever actually practiced meditation?

I meditated for about two years. This was done with an ulterior motive as discussed in the following PS section:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1832

-a true story of a very intense experience induced by this practice. I want to stress here that I make no claims of anything supernatural. I just relate the episode as experienced.

I don't know much about the different philosophies of meditation, but the one that I used is common and easy to learn. The challenge is to focus completely on one thought. This is very difficult to do at first for more than a few seconds. With time this skill improves. I definitely felt this translated into other areas of my life. Whether or not this generally produced happiness or a sense of well being I really couldn’t say…it has been too long. I quit the practice for the reasons discussed in the link.

Thanks Damgo. That was precisely what I was referring to.:smile:

Argumentum ad nauseum = proof by repetition.

It's when one argues by reiterating their point instead of providing evidence for it or evidence against the counterpoint

Ivan Seeking, I agree that one can't really say with scientific certainty that it is a real good thing to practice, only what they experienced, this is one of those things that is better to try and experience . I don't meditate so much anymore, but when I do I like to focus only on breathing and letting images "pop up" without judgement or response like a sponge. I have found that after a bit of practice images sometimes will come up that are so crystal clear as to sometimes startle me out of relaxation, it's a bizarre feeling at first much like having a lucid dream. I believe most people can learn to do this, but why? I don't know, but it's fun every once in awhile.

Originally posted by jammieg
Ivan Seeking, I agree that one can't really say with scientific certainty that it is a real good thing to practice, only what they experienced, this is one of those things that is better to try and experience . I don't meditate so much anymore, but when I do I like to focus only on breathing and letting images "pop up" without judgement or response like a sponge. I have found that after a bit of practice images sometimes will come up that are so crystal clear as to sometimes startle me out of relaxation, it's a bizarre feeling at first much like having a lucid dream. I believe most people can learn to do this, but why? I don't know, but it's fun every once in awhile.

I went for the awareness-of-self angle - a complete focus or awareness of the physical body. Slowly a feeling of weight begins to spread from the focal point and eventually takes over the entire body. I would often feel as if my body weighed two or three times normal...really quite an amazing feeling! For months I would make a little progress, but as soon as I recognized or became aware of this progress, I would lose focus and ruin it. I always felt that as a relaxation technique, this really qualifies as a brain exercise of some sort; much like doing mathematics. I really don't know what to think of the rest of the experience, but the sense of morbid fear was really quite breathtaking...for just a few moments. Also, I just read a very nice response to this story.

Nature back in the Fall of 2002 or so published an article that mapped out the part of the brain that induces an OBE.

Originally posted by Entropia
Nature back in the Fall of 2002 or so published an article that mapped out the part of the brain that induces an OBE.

Can you remember anything else about this? I just checked the Nature website and could find nothing under "OBE" [except for a eating disorder], "out of body", hallucination, or "near death" experience. I don't know, can we get all of the same stuff as the magazine but delayed, on-line that is?

There's a lot of information out there on this, but there was one study that really caught my attention about athletic training and how 1 group physically trained for the game another group only visualized themselves playing the game(with only beginner's practice at meditation I guess), and another group did nothing. The 1st grouped improved the most, however the 2ed group that only visualized playing improved only slightly less than the 1st group, and the 3ed group got worse.

1. What is meditation?

Meditation is a practice that involves training the mind to focus and achieve a state of calm and relaxation. It is often used for stress reduction, improving mental and emotional well-being, and increasing self-awareness.

2. How does meditation work?

Meditation typically involves focusing on an object, such as the breath, a mantra, or a visualization, while letting go of distracting thoughts. This helps to quiet the mind and promote relaxation. With regular practice, meditation can also lead to changes in brain activity and improved cognitive function.

3. What are the benefits of meditation?

There are numerous benefits of meditation, both for physical and mental health. It can help reduce stress and anxiety, improve sleep, enhance emotional well-being, and increase focus and concentration. It has also been found to have positive effects on blood pressure, heart rate, and immune function.

4. Can anyone meditate?

Yes, anyone can meditate. It does not require any specific beliefs or abilities. However, it may be more challenging for some people to quiet their minds and focus, especially in the beginning. With practice and patience, anyone can learn to meditate and experience its benefits.

5. How often should I meditate?

The frequency of meditation varies for each individual. Some people may find benefit from daily practice, while others may meditate a few times a week. The important thing is to find a routine that works for you and to stick with it. Consistency is key for reaping the benefits of meditation.