Coordinate conjugate to momentum.

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with one degree of freedom described by a lagrangian and the definition of momentum. A change of coordinates leads to a second lagrangian and a corresponding second momentum. The question is raised about how to find the corresponding transformation for the momenta. The solution is suggested to involve reading about canonical transformations and generating functions. The last section on "Modern mathematical description" is recommended as a summary.
Petr Mugver
Let's take a system, for simplicity with only one degree of freedom, described by a certain lagrangian

[tex]L[x,\dot x][/tex]

I define the momentum

[tex]p=\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot x}[/tex]

Now, if I make a change of coordinates

[tex]x\longmapsto y\qquad\qquad\qquad(1)[/tex]

I obtain a second lagrangian

[tex]M[y,\dot y]=L[x(y(t)),\partial_t x(y(t))][/tex]

and I can define a second momentum

[tex]q=\frac{\partial M}{\partial\dot y}[/tex]

My question is, if instead of the transformation (1) I want to consider the transformation of the momenta

[tex]p\longmapsto q\qquad\qquad\qquad(2)[/tex]

How can I find the corresponding transformation (1)? In other words, given that I know how to do (1)-->(2), how can I do (2)-->(1)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to read some material about canonical transformations.
Maybe wiki is a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_transformation

Once you are on the starting block, read about generating functions.
The last section "Modern mathematical description" is like a summary.

Related to Coordinate conjugate to momentum.

1. What is the coordinate conjugate to momentum?

The coordinate conjugate to momentum is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between a particle's position and its momentum. It is represented by the operator p̂, which acts on the wave function of a particle to determine its momentum.

2. How is the coordinate conjugate to momentum related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The coordinate conjugate to momentum is directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is because the coordinate conjugate to momentum operator does not commute with the position operator, and therefore the two quantities cannot be known simultaneously with arbitrary precision.

3. How is the coordinate conjugate to momentum represented in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the coordinate conjugate to momentum is represented by the momentum of a particle, which is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. Unlike in quantum mechanics, where the momentum is represented by a mathematical operator, in classical mechanics it is a physical quantity that can be directly measured.

4. What is the role of the coordinate conjugate to momentum in the Schrödinger equation?

The coordinate conjugate to momentum plays a crucial role in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It appears in the kinetic energy term of the equation and is used to calculate the probability of a particle's position and momentum at a given time.

5. How is the coordinate conjugate to momentum used in quantum mechanical calculations?

The coordinate conjugate to momentum is used in quantum mechanical calculations to determine the wave function of a particle, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a particular position and time. It is also used in calculations of observables, such as the energy and momentum of a particle, and in predicting the behavior of quantum systems.