Coordinate change to remove asymptotic geodesic?

In summary, the conversation discusses a metric, specifically a diagonal metric with certain values, that may give a solution to the geodesic equation of motion that is asymptotic. The speaker is self-taught in special relativity and has questions about defining a metric with asymptotic geodesics and whether it can be defined with different coordinates. The possibility of removing this behavior through a change of coordinates is also mentioned.
ck99
Through my mathematical fumblings, I think I have found a metric which gives a solution of the geodesic equation of motion that is asymptotic. It is a diagonal metric, with g00 = (x_1)^(-3) and g11 = 1. I am largely self-taught with SR so I may be miles off, but I think this gives a G.E. of M which has a λ = 1 / (x_1) term in it, so my parameter goes to infinity when x_1 = 0.

Even if I have the details wrong, I have two questions:

1) Can you define a metric where geodesics are asymptotic?

2) Can you define the same metric with different coordinates to remove this behaviour?

The only thing I can think of is some kind of substitution, but I don't really know what to do and the textbook I am working through is not a lot of help. I even got the massive "Gravitation" book out of my library but if it did contain the solution, I didn't understand it!

Hopefully someone can give me a clue :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In the Schwarzschild metric in the usual coordinates, the inward-going null geodesics run off the coordinate patch, going to t = +∞ as r goes to 2m. Is that what you mean by asymptotic?

Bill_K said:
In the Schwarzschild metric in the usual coordinates, the inward-going null geodesics run off the coordinate patch, going to t = +∞ as r goes to 2m. Is that what you mean by asymptotic?

If this is what you meant by asymptotic, then whether you can get rid of this behavior via a change of coordinates is dependent on if this behavior is a real singularity (e.g. at the center of a black hole) or a coordinate singularity (e.g. at the event horizon of a black hole). A real singularity would have the curvature tensor also diverging, whereas a coordinate singularity would have a finite curvature. If it's a coordinate singularity then you can find coordinates which remove this asymptotic behavior (for Schwarzschild, you can use Eddington-Finklestein coordinates or Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates).

Related to Coordinate change to remove asymptotic geodesic?

1. What is a coordinate change?

A coordinate change refers to a transformation of the coordinate system used to describe a mathematical or physical system. It involves changing the variables used to describe the system while keeping the underlying structure unchanged.

2. Why is a coordinate change necessary to remove asymptotic geodesic?

A coordinate change is necessary to remove asymptotic geodesic because it allows us to choose a coordinate system where the geodesic is no longer asymptotic. This makes it easier to study and understand the behavior of the geodesic.

3. How does a coordinate change affect the metric tensor?

A coordinate change affects the metric tensor by changing the coefficients used to calculate distances between points in the coordinate system. This means that the metric tensor will have different components in the new coordinate system.

4. What are the steps involved in performing a coordinate change to remove asymptotic geodesic?

The steps involved in performing a coordinate change to remove asymptotic geodesic may vary depending on the specific case, but generally include choosing a suitable coordinate system, calculating the transformation equations, and applying the transformation to the metric tensor and other relevant quantities.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a coordinate change to remove asymptotic geodesic?

Yes, there can be limitations and drawbacks to using a coordinate change to remove asymptotic geodesic. In some cases, the transformation equations may be difficult to calculate or the resulting coordinate system may not provide a better understanding of the geodesic. Additionally, the transformation may not be applicable in all cases, such as when dealing with singularities in the system.