Coordinate angles of three dimensional vectors

In summary, there is an unlimited amount of possibilities for finding the third coordinate angle if you know the value of two coordinate angles. However, the statement that the sum of the squares of the three direction cosines is equal to 1 is also true. The question about different methods of finding the answer is not relevant, as the focus is on the unlimited number of solutions for the third angle. Therefore, the correct answer is B. False.
Tiven white

Homework Statement

If u know the value of two coordinate angles there is an ulimeted amount of possibility for finding the third coordinate angle
A. True
B. False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I .not too sure about this one any suggestions would be appreciated I think its tfalse hough

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiven white said:

Homework Statement

If u know the value of two coordinate angles there is an ulimeted amount of possibility for finding the third coordinate angle
A. True
B. False

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I .not too sure about this one any suggestions would be appreciated I think its tfalse hough
What is the sum of the squares of the three direction cosines equal to?

Chestermiller said:
What is the sum of the squares of the three direction cosines equal to?
they sum to 1

Two coordinate angles? Angles between vectors? I don't understand the question.

Tiven white said:
they sum to 1

Does that help answer your question?

Tiven white said:
they sum to 1

This approach works, but it might also help to think of it geometrically. What shape is formed by the set of lines at a given angle to the positive half of an axis?

Chestermiller said:
Does that help answer your question?

I'm only confuse of the term unlimited I know there is the method of just subtracting the squared Cosine of the other angles from one to get the third though I'm unsure about the term unlimited since even though I know that's a method I Dont know if its the only method

Tiven white said:
I'm only confuse of the term unlimited I know there is the method of just subtracting the squared Cosine of the other angles from one to get the third though I'm unsure about the term unlimited since even though I know that's a method I Dont know if its the only method
The question isn't asking about different methods of finding the answer; it's asking if the number of solution values is unlimited. You can use whatever method you like.

haruspex said:
The question isn't asking about different methods of finding the answer; it's asking if the number of solution values is unlimited. You can use whatever method you like.

Its false right?

Tiven white said:
Its false right?

Yes. How many possibilities are there for the third angle?

Related to Coordinate angles of three dimensional vectors

What are coordinate angles of three dimensional vectors?

Coordinate angles of three dimensional vectors refer to the angles formed between a vector and the three coordinate axes (x, y, and z) in a three dimensional coordinate system. These angles are measured in radians or degrees.

How are coordinate angles calculated?

The coordinate angles of a three dimensional vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The angle between the vector and the x-axis is known as the azimuth angle, the angle between the vector and the y-axis is known as the elevation angle, and the angle between the vector and the z-axis is known as the tilt angle.

What is the importance of coordinate angles in vector analysis?

Coordinate angles are important in vector analysis because they provide a way to describe the direction of a vector in a three dimensional space. They also help in determining the components of a vector along each coordinate axis, which can be useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

How do coordinate angles relate to vector projections?

Coordinate angles are closely related to vector projections. The azimuth and elevation angles of a vector can be used to determine the magnitude of the vector's projection onto the x-y plane. Similarly, the tilt angle can be used to determine the magnitude of the vector's projection onto the x-z plane.

Can coordinate angles be negative?

Yes, coordinate angles can be negative. In a three dimensional coordinate system, angles are measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Therefore, angles in the second and third quadrants will have negative values. However, some applications may use a different convention for measuring angles, so it is important to clarify the definition being used.