Coordinate and proper time, null geodesic

In summary: No, proper time is defined for any trajectory, whatsoever. But in the special case in which an object is at rest in some coordinate system, then the proper time for that object's trajectory is given by: ##1 = g_{00} (\frac{dt}{d\tau})^2##.
stevendaryl said:
There is no way that the discussion can "go astray" if there isn't a specific question to answer. So it seems to me that either you ask a specific question (and then you can complain if nobody answers it) or you can spark a general discussion, and then let it go where it will. There is no basis for complaint in the latter case.
erm nah. i don't think the world revolves around me. rather, if you think a discussion may be useful by taking a de-tour, you should mildly talk about the subject, or introduce it, and ask whether that person has the background knowledge for it or not, before ASSUMING they DO NOT, writing an essay about ut and getting your knickers in a twist about the fact that they don't

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
erm nah. i don't think the world revolves around me.

Your complaints seem to suggest otherwise. You're upset that people didn't spend more time figuring out what you want from this discussion and complying with it.

stevendaryl said:
Your complaints seem to suggest otherwise. You're upset that people didn't spend more time figuring out what you want from this discussion and complying with it.
u really want me to repeat myself?
no i am not.
the fact that it was complained why don't i have some desired background knowledge, when i asked nothing about it, and it was immediately assumed i did not have it.
i think you've got that, you just don't like loosing arguements.

binbagsss said:
u really want me to repeat myself?

No. I told you what I want. I either want you to ask a specific question, or else let the discussion go where it will, without complaining.

Nobody has any idea what you want out of this discussion.

stevendaryl said:
No. I told you what I want. I either want you to ask a specific question, or else let the discussion go where it will, without complaining.

Nobody has any idea what you want out of this discussion.
i believe they do about 6 posts ago, you can't let it go since felt the need to reply to my clarificaiton posts which i was asked for.

binbagsss said:
The question comes from an exam paper from my university in the UK...
Presumably from a module on general relativity. What was, if there was one, the recommended text(s)?

binbagsss said:
i believe they do about 6 posts ago, you can't let it go since felt the need to reply to my clarificaiton posts which i was asked for.

Okay. I'm dropping this discussion. Maybe we could take vote: Does anybody know what the question is?

Last edited:
binbagsss said:
i believe they do about 6 posts ago

Oh, you mean your questions are all resolved now? Good, then we can stop the pointless wrangling about who understands what. Thread closed.