Cooling fan for Smartphones CPU

In summary, there is no cooling fan with a heat sink on smartphones CPU - Quadcore processor and above, similar to desktop and server CPUs. This is because smartphone CPUs are designed to use less power and produce less heat, and adding a fan would reduce battery life and potentially be dangerous. It is not feasible to add a cooling fan to a smartphone device without draining the battery quickly.
prashantakerkar
Is there a cooling fan with a heat sink on the Smartphones CPU - Quadcore processor and above similar to the desktop and Server CPU?

If not, why?. Is it not required?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Computer science news on Phys.org
prashantakerkar said:
Is there a cooling fan with a heat sink on the Smartphones CPU - Quadcore processor and above similar to the desktop and Server CPU?

Not as far as I know.

prashantakerkar said:
If not, why?. Is it not required?

No. CPU's for smartphones are typically designed to use much less power, and thus produce far less heat, than the processors on desktops and laptops. The downside is that they also aren't as powerful. A fan would also be loud and have lots of vibration, neither of which you want in a mobile phone.

I think having a cooling fan would dramatically reduce battery life. I remember the early days of camcorders and the constant lens movement trying to keep things in focus would seriously drain the battery so you'd get maybe 40 minutes of video and 2 to 3 hours of battery life. The strategy was to turn it off to preserve battery drain but then you couldn't respond quickly to something you wanted to tape because of slow startup.

No motors, no moving parts, dim displays are the best strategy now.

Thanks.

Is it feasible to fix a small cooling fan in the Smartphone device ?

Since the cooling fan will require the 5V Smartphone battery, this may drain quickly?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

You might be able to get power from the micro-usb port but it will drain the battery. Unsafe battery drain could be dangerous as the battery will heat up too. You are asking in a sense for the phone to use its power to cool itself.

Its kind of like using a fan to cool yourself. As you fan more vigorously you get hot from the exertion.

prashantakerkar said:
I ordered that option with my new high-performance cell phone. I had to order the larger battery option for it to make sense. So far I like the extra voice quality of the high-end processors in my new phone:

(and yes, I really am that handsome!) :smile:

http://img.wonderhowto.com/images/gfx/gallery/634401308269938591.jpg

634401308269938591.jpg

Attachments

• 634401308269938591.jpg
    634401308269938591.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 446
prashantakerkar said:
Thanks.

No. Find someone with a broken phone and take it apart.

Related to Cooling fan for Smartphones CPU

1. What is a cooling fan for smartphones CPU?

A cooling fan for smartphones CPU is a small device that is used to cool down the central processing unit (CPU) of a smartphone. It is typically attached to the back of the smartphone and uses a fan to circulate air and dissipate heat from the CPU.

2. Do I need a cooling fan for my smartphone CPU?

It depends on your usage. If you regularly use your smartphone for intensive tasks such as gaming or video editing, a cooling fan may help prevent overheating and potential performance issues. However, for regular day-to-day usage, a cooling fan may not be necessary.

3. How does a cooling fan for smartphones CPU work?

A cooling fan for smartphones CPU works by drawing in cool air through vents and pushing hot air out through other vents. This helps to lower the temperature of the CPU, preventing it from overheating and potentially damaging the device.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a cooling fan for smartphones CPU?

There are minimal risks associated with using a cooling fan for smartphones CPU. However, if the fan is not properly attached or maintained, it could potentially damage the device. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use a reputable brand to minimize any risks.

5. Can a cooling fan for smartphones CPU extend the life of my device?

Yes, a cooling fan for smartphones CPU can potentially extend the life of your device by preventing overheating and potential damage to the CPU. However, it is important to note that proper maintenance and usage habits are also important factors in prolonging the life of a smartphone.