Cooling bath temperature question

In summary, the cooling bath prepared in the laboratory with chunks of solid CO2 and ethanol will have a temperature of -78.5°C. This is the temperature at which CO2(s) will sublime to CO2(g). The mixture of solid CO2 and liquid ethanol will cause the temperature to drop due to latent heat, and the final temperature will depend on the amount of solid CO2 used and the starting temperature of the ethanol. Under ordinary laboratory conditions, the temperature will likely stay around -78.5°C until all of the solid CO2 has sublimed, and then the temperature will start to slowly rise as the mixture becomes more diluted with liquid ethanol.
kottur

Homework Statement

A cooling bath is prepared in a laboratory by mixing chunks of solid CO2 with ethanol. CO2(s) sublimes at -78.5°C to CO2(g). Ethanol freezes at -114.5°C and boils at +78.4°C. State the temperature of this cooling bath and describe what will be seen when it is prepared under ordinary laboratory conditions.

The answer is -78.5°C.

Homework Equations

Not sure if there are any equations. Might just be a graph with a critical point or something like that.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, the definition of a cooling bath is a bath that maintains a low temperature close to 0°C right? I suppose that the mixture of CO2 and ethanol is with solid CO2 (given) and liquid ethanol, so does the ethanol break up the CO2 or something? Anyway at -78.5°C ethanol is still liquid and CO2 is just in between solid and gaseous state. I don't understand how the answer is -78.5°C and I also would like to understand what happens in the cooling bath like the question states.

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is mostly about the latent heat - question assumes there is enough solid carbon dioxide used.

Mixture is prepared using ethanol at - most likely - room temperature, so it will be cooled down by subliming CO2. How far down can the temperature go?

Related to Cooling bath temperature question

What is a cooling bath temperature question?

A cooling bath temperature question is a question related to the temperature at which a cooling bath is set during scientific experiments. A cooling bath is a container filled with a cooling agent, such as ice or dry ice, that is used to maintain a constant low temperature for samples or equipment during experiments.

Why is it important to control the temperature of a cooling bath?

Controlling the temperature of a cooling bath is important because it ensures that the samples or equipment being cooled are kept at a consistent temperature throughout the experiment. This is crucial for accurate and reproducible results, as many chemical reactions and biological processes are temperature-sensitive.

What factors can affect the temperature of a cooling bath?

The temperature of a cooling bath can be affected by the type and amount of cooling agent used, the ambient temperature of the room, and the type of container or vessel used for the bath. Factors such as stirring or agitation can also impact the temperature of the bath.

How do I determine the optimal cooling bath temperature for my experiment?

The optimal cooling bath temperature will depend on the specific experiment and the samples or equipment being cooled. It is important to consult scientific literature and established protocols for similar experiments to determine a suitable temperature range. Additionally, trial and error may be necessary to find the ideal temperature for your specific experiment.

How do I maintain a constant temperature in a cooling bath?

To maintain a constant temperature in a cooling bath, it is important to regularly monitor the temperature and make adjustments as needed. This can be done by adding more cooling agent or adjusting the temperature of the surrounding environment. Using a temperature controller or thermometer can also help to maintain a consistent temperature in the bath.