Cooling air by running it through underground pipes

In summary, the conversation involves an environmentalist trying to cool a building without using AC by blowing air from outside into an underground pipe and then into the building. The person needs to find the temperature of the air that enters the building on a hot and humid day. They have the necessary information such as fan speed, outside air temperature and humidity, pipe material and thickness, and soil type and temperature. They have attempted to combine two equations to get a heat transfer coefficient of 21.81 W/(m^2*K), but are unsure of the next step and whether they have done the calculations correctly.
Sultan of Hel
An environmentalist friend of mine wants to cool a building on his property (something like a shed or workshop) not with AC, but by blowing air from outside into a pipe underground, running it underground for a distance, and then blowing that air straight up into the building.

I need to find the temperature of the air that comes into the building on a hot, humid day. I have the speed at which the fan pushes the air (can be converted to CFM), the outside air temperature and humidity, the pipe material and thickness, and the soil type and temperature.

I tried combining two equations:

[tex]h=\frac{x}{k}[/tex]
[tex]h=\frac{k_w}{D_H}Nu, Nu=0.023\cdot Re^{0.8}\cdot Pr^{0.33}[/tex]

...and got 21.81 W/(m^2*K)

I'm positive I'm doing something wrong, and even if I'm not, where do I go with that number?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the heat transfer coefficient to the air inside the pipe. But you also need a value for the heat transfer coefficient from the ground outside the pipe.

Related to Cooling air by running it through underground pipes

1. How does running air through underground pipes cool it?

Running air through underground pipes utilizes the principle of geothermal cooling. The earth's temperature below the surface remains relatively constant throughout the year, usually between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. By drawing air through these pipes, the air is cooled by this constant temperature before being circulated back into the building.

2. What are the benefits of using underground pipes for cooling air?

One of the main benefits of using underground pipes for cooling air is energy efficiency. Geothermal cooling systems use less energy compared to traditional air conditioning systems, resulting in lower utility costs. Additionally, these systems have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance.

3. How deep do the underground pipes need to be installed for effective cooling?

The depth of the pipes depends on the local climate and soil conditions, but typically they are installed between 6-10 feet below the surface. This allows for efficient heat transfer between the air and the surrounding soil.

4. Can underground pipes be used for both cooling and heating?

Yes, underground pipes can be used for both cooling and heating. In the summer, the pipes are used to cool the air, while in the winter, they can be used to preheat the air before it enters the building's heating system. This makes geothermal systems a year-round solution for temperature control.

5. Are there any limitations to using underground pipes for cooling air?

One of the main limitations of using underground pipes for cooling air is the initial installation cost. It can be more expensive to install a geothermal cooling system compared to a traditional air conditioning system. Additionally, this type of system may not be suitable for all locations, as the soil and climate conditions need to be optimal for efficient cooling.