Coolest middle/high school ever

• Schools
  • Thread starter IGU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, Proof School is a new high school in late planning stages that combines elements of high school, grad school, and math camp. It offers a blended, interdisciplinary, and inquiry-based curriculum for grades 7-12, with like-minded peers and mathematicians as teachers. Students will have 3+ hours of higher math each day and the school is set to open in September 2015 in San Francisco. Some have concerns about the curriculum being solely focused on math and the potential trade-off with other subjects, but others see it as a great opportunity for motivated students. Overall, there is not enough information available to make a definitive judgment at this point.
IGU
This is just in the late planning stage, but it sure looks like the coolest high school ever: Proof School.

IMAGINE HIGH SCHOOL, GRAD SCHOOL, AND MATH CAMP ROLLED INTO ONE.

GRADES 7-12. BLENDED, INTERDISCIPLINARY, INQUIRY-BASED CURRICULUM.

LIKE-MINDED PEERS AND MATHEMATICIANS FOR TEACHERS. 3+ HOURS OF HIGHER MATH EACH DAY.

THAT'S PROOF SCHOOL.

It looks like they have some serious, high-powered folks involved. Starts up for students in September, 2015 in San Francisco. Why wasn't there one of these when I was going to school?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no specifics on the curriculum and it is only for math. I already don't like it.

When a superior curriculum available to all students of any discipline is available to the middle and high school students Ill be impressed. I firmly believe education in the USA in fundamentally flawed on many levels. A school for those only interested is math (that probably costs a fortune) won't change anything.

If they had an English department, maybe they could fix the capitalization.

Vanadium 50 said:
If they had an English department, maybe they could fix the capitalization.

I certainly hope they get an Engineering department before they try to build the school

A flag goes up for me when I hear about something like this.

I mean, it may be a good idea, but as a parent I can't help but wonder about the end product such a school would produce. The "3+ hours of higher math each day" sounds great - for those students who truly love mathematics and will undoubtedly respond well in such an environment.

But I'm a strong believer in general education, particularly prior to university.

I can't remember how many hours of instruction one gets in high school... six maybe. That mean that roughly half of each student's time will be spent on higher level mathematics. But what are they giving up in order to do that? Are you running the risk of creating a graduating class that can solve partial differential equations - something that most of them would otherwise learn in university (and many will still have to sit through anyway) - but haven't been introduced to Shakespear, or don't understand how the second world war resulted from the first world war because they've never studied history, or who can't change the oil in their own cars because they've never taken autoshop... I'm sure you get the idea.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. A school or program like this may be just what's needed to keep kids motivated and focused who would otherwise quit school entirely due to a lack of challenge.

But part of high school involves learning how to deal with those subjects that aren't quite as stimulating as those you really love. Some loves are an acquired taste.

There isn't enough information up right now to make assumptions about what the school will really offer. It could be a great thing as an extra-curricular for students who are really interested in mathematics, and could help them get the math education that north america doesn't really offer. That being said, it could be a great thing. But there really isn't enough information available right now.

Related to Coolest middle/high school ever

1. What makes this middle/high school the coolest?

The coolest middle/high school ever is known for its unique and innovative approach to education. It offers a wide range of courses and extracurricular activities that cater to the interests and passions of students. Additionally, the school has state-of-the-art facilities and resources, creating a dynamic and engaging learning environment.

2. Can you provide some examples of the extracurricular activities offered at this school?

There are numerous extracurricular activities offered at this school, including sports teams, music and art programs, STEM clubs, language clubs, and community service groups. Students can also participate in academic competitions, debate teams, and student-run organizations.

3. How does this school prepare students for college and the real world?

This school places a strong emphasis on developing critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Students are encouraged to take on leadership roles and participate in internships and job shadowing opportunities. The school also has a comprehensive college preparation program, providing students with the resources they need to succeed in higher education.

4. Is this school diverse and inclusive?

Yes, this school values diversity and inclusivity. It celebrates and embraces different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives. The school also provides resources and support for students from marginalized communities and promotes a safe and welcoming environment for all students.

5. How do students benefit from attending this school?

Attending this school can have numerous benefits for students. In addition to receiving a quality education, students have the opportunity to develop a strong sense of community, foster lifelong friendships, and engage in their passions and interests. The school also prepares students for success in higher education and the workforce.