Convultion with Delta Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of convolution, specifically the result of convolving a function with a delta function. The equation x(t) * \delta(t-5) = x(t-5) is mentioned, but the person is struggling to remember why this is true. The definition of convolution is also mentioned, and the conversation ends with a clarification and appreciation for the help.
Caspian
I can remember from Differential Equations that any function convolved with a delta function results in a copy of the function located at the impulese.

That is, [tex]x(t) * \delta(t-5) = x(t-5)[/tex]

However, I can't remember why. This is really irritating me since I need to use this concept for my courses, yet I can't remember why this is true. This makes sense... but I get stuck when trying to evaluate the following integral:

[tex]\int_0^t \delta(t - \tau) d \tau[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the convolution defined? Also, remember [itex]\delta (t-5) = (\delta \circ \epsilon )(t)[/itex] where [itex]\epsilon : t \mapsto t-5[/itex]. I haven't worked with convolutions, but looking it up the definition on Mathworld, the equation above seems obvious:

[tex]x * (\delta \circ \epsilon ) = \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} x(\tau )(\delta \circ \epsilon )(t - \tau )d\tau [/tex]

[tex]= \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} x(\tau )\delta ((t - \tau) - 5)d\tau [/tex]

[tex]= \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} x(\tau )\delta ((t - 5) - \tau)d\tau [/tex]

[tex]= x(t - 5)[/tex]

where the last line follows by the definition of the delta function.

Thanks, AKG!

I don't know why that waws stumping me -- I really appreciate your help.

Related to Convultion with Delta Function

What is convolution?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is used to model the relationship between two quantities and is commonly used in signal and image processing.

What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical construct that is used to represent an impulse or point source in a system. It is defined as a function with an infinite height and zero width, but with an area of 1 under the curve.

How is convolution with a delta function performed?

Convolution with a delta function involves multiplying the delta function by the other function and then integrating over all values of the independent variable. This results in a scaled and shifted version of the original function.

What is the significance of convolution with a delta function?

Convolution with a delta function is often used to model the response of a system to an impulse input. It is also useful for finding the output of a system when given the input and the system's impulse response.

What are some real-world applications of convolution with a delta function?

Convolution with a delta function is used in a wide range of fields, including signal and image processing, electrical engineering, and physics. It is used to model the response of systems to impulsive inputs, such as in audio and video processing, as well as in the analysis of physical systems and their behaviors.