Convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution

In summary, the researcher is stuck at this point and needs help to figure out how to convolute the non central chi-square distribution with the normal distribution. They attempted straight convolution, the MGF approach, and an analytical distribution but were not successful. They should consider approximating the PDF of the addition of the two variables and re-normalizing it.
mmmly2002
Hi, I am doing research and I am stuck at this point I need help to convolute iid non central chi-square with normal distribution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mmmly2002 and welcome to the forums.

Can you elaborate on what part you are stuck on? Have you set up the convolution equation? What approaches have you tried? Straight convolution? MGF approach?

Thank you for your reply...I really appreciate your help. actually the approach that I used is to take the characteristic function for both non central chi square and normal distribution, then multiply both CF. afetr that take the inverse Fourier transform for the result their production. but I could not solve the inverse Fourier transform for their production and I got stuck at this point...

Thanks again for your help.

Are you calculated the PDF of the addition of the two variables?

If so what I recommend is to get the MGF by multiplying the two MGF's (assuming they are independent) and then using the characteristic function for your combined MGF to get the PDF.

Also don't rule out using a term by term integration as opposed to doing something analytically.

If the analytic distribution is extremely complicated and can't easily be expressed with the elementary functions, then what you can do is basically look at the order of the expanding taylor series centred about some point and then cut off the series when the error term (in terms of its order) is large enough.

If you want to do strict calculations, then get an approximation with the right error properties over the domain of the PDF and use that.

You should be able to pick enough terms to reduce the order and you can program a computer to calculate the first n terms and throw them in an array.

But if you use an approximated PDF, make sure you "re-normalize" it so that it has the proper properties of a PDF.

The convolution of two probability distributions, in this case the iid non central chi-square and normal distribution, is a common technique used in statistics to combine two distributions and obtain a new distribution. In this case, the resulting distribution will have characteristics of both the non central chi-square and normal distribution.

To convolute these two distributions, you can use the convolution theorem, which states that the convolution of two distributions is equal to the product of their Fourier transforms. The Fourier transform of a non central chi-square distribution is a gamma distribution, and the Fourier transform of a normal distribution is another normal distribution. Therefore, the convolution of the two distributions will result in a new distribution that can be expressed as a product of a gamma and a normal distribution.

This new distribution is known as the non central chi-square distribution with non-centrality parameter. It is commonly used in statistical modeling and analysis, particularly in the field of experimental design and hypothesis testing. It is also used in many practical applications such as in signal processing, image processing, and finance.

In summary, convolving the iid non central chi-square and normal distribution can provide a powerful tool for analyzing data and making statistical inferences. It is important to note that the resulting distribution may not have a closed-form expression, but can be easily calculated using numerical methods. I hope this helps in your research and understanding of this topic.

Related to Convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution

1. What is the meaning of iid in the context of convolution of non central Chi square and normal distribution?

The term iid stands for independent and identically distributed. In the context of convolution, it refers to the assumption that the random variables being convoluted are independent from each other and follow the same probability distribution.

2. How is the convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution calculated?

The convolution of two random variables can be calculated by taking the sum of their probability density functions (PDFs). In the case of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution, the resulting PDF is a non central Chi square distribution with degrees of freedom equal to the sum of the degrees of freedom of the two distributions being convoluted.

3. What is the significance of the non central parameter in the convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution?

The non central parameter in the non central Chi square distribution represents the non centrality parameter, which is a measure of the deviation from the null hypothesis. In the context of convolution, it represents the combined deviation from the null hypothesis of the two distributions being convoluted.

4. How does the convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution relate to real world applications?

The convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution has various applications in statistics and data analysis. It can be used to model the distribution of sums of independent random variables, which is a common occurrence in many real world scenarios. For example, it can be used to model the distribution of stock returns or the distribution of errors in a statistical model.

5. Are there any limitations to using the convolution of iid non central Chi square and normal distribution?

One limitation of using this convolution is that it assumes the random variables being convoluted are independent, which may not always be the case in real world scenarios. Additionally, the resulting distribution may not always have a closed form solution, making it difficult to calculate probabilities or perform further analysis. In such cases, numerical methods may be required.