Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Convolution of a transform

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I am trying to prove the convolution of the Fourier Transform
$$
(\widehat{f\star g})(\xi) = 2\pi\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi)
$$

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
With which definition of the Fourier Transform are you working?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
$$
\hat{f}(\xi) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx
$$

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
So, what have you got so far?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
So, what have you got so far?
$$
2\pi\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-i\xi x}g(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx
$$

Last edited by a moderator:

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
And what do you have for the LHS?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Well, what is the definition of convolution?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Well, what is the definition of convolution?
It isn't the definition of convolution that is throwing me for a loop but the transform of it.
$$
(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds
$$

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
It isn't the definition of convolution that is throwing me for a loop but the transform of it.
$$
(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds
$$
Great. So the result of this convolution is a function of $x$, correct? Let's say that

$$h(x):=(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds.$$

Now, can you write down the Fourier Transform of $h$?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Great. So the result of this convolution is a function of $x$, correct? Let's say that

$$h(x):=(f\star g)(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds.$$

Now, can you write down the Fourier Transform of $h$?
$$
\hat{h}(\xi)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(x)e^{-i\xi x}dx = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}dx
$$
but how do I get to the RHS now?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I would try putzing around with a change of variable, say, $z=x-s$, and then maybe changing the order of integration. See what that gets you.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I would try putzing around with a change of variable, say, $z=x-s$, and then maybe changing the order of integration. See what that gets you.
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}dx=
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)ds\right)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}dx
$$
Even with a change of integration order, I don't see how it will get to the right result.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
If $z=x-s$, then $x=z+s$. Don't forget to change the differential as well.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}dx=
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)ds\right)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}dx
$$
Even with a change of integration order, I don't see how it will get to the right result.
\begin{alignat}{3}
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)ds\right)e^{-i\xi (z+s)} d(z + s) & = &
\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)e^{-i\xi s} ds\right)\left(\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(z)e^{-i\xi z}d(z + s)\right)\\
& = & \hat{f}(\xi)\left(\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(z)e^{-i\xi z}d(z + s)\right)
\end{alignat}

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Try this instead:

\begin{align*}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,ds\,dx\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx\,ds\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}\,dz\,ds.
\end{align*}

Where can you go from here?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Try this instead:

\begin{align*}\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)\,ds\right)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,ds\,dx\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(x-s)e^{-i\xi x}\,dx\,ds\\
&=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(s)g(z)e^{-i\xi (z+s)}\,dz\,ds.
\end{align*}

Where can you go from here?
But now we have
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = (\widehat{f\star g})(\xi)
$$

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
But now we have
$$
\frac{1}{2\pi}\hat{f}(\xi)\hat{g}(\xi) = (\widehat{f\star g})(\xi)
$$
Check your constants again. To get two Fourier Transforms on the RHS, you need two factors of $2\pi$ in the denominator. How many do you actually have?