Convex set and convex functions

In summary: This is because the definition of a convex function relies on the convexity of the domain. If the domain is not convex, then the definition cannot be fulfilled and the function cannot be considered convex. In summary, the domain of a function must be convex in order for the function to be considered convex.
kingwinner
Theorems about convex functions often look like the following:
Let f: S->R where S is a convex set.
Suppose f is a convex function...

So here are my questions:

1) For a convex function, why do we always need the domain to be convex set in the first place?

2) Can a convex function be discontinuous?

Thanks for any inputs.

Physics news on Phys.org
kingwinner said:
Theorems about convex functions often look like the following:
Let f: S->R where S is a convex set.
Suppose f is a convex function...

So here are my questions:

1) For a convex function, why do we always need the domain to be convex set in the first place?

2) Can a convex function be discontinuous?

Thanks for any inputs.

Hey kingwinner.

For number 2 the answer is yes.

The reason is that convex sets themselves can be discontinuous. The easiest example to consider is a two-dimensional convex polygon. You can use a variety of ways to describe these and one is in term of the Jordan crossing theorem. All that really says is that if you draw a line from any point inside the polygon to any point outside, it only crosses the boundary once. You can extend this idea to any dimension for polygons in that dimension.

Its easy to just draw a linear function with two parts where the first part has a lower (but still positive) gradient than the second part and use the polygon example or otherwise to see why.

For number 1 I can't say for sure. I think you might have to prove this one.

One suggestion that I have is to consider a paraboloid (sp?) in three dimensions or an object that has a parabola of varying types as its cross section in both x-z and y-z planes. This is a simple convex function.

Now using something like contour lines you might be able to visualize a situation where a convex domain still has the property of the function being convex. Its probably not a substitute for a proper proof, but you might be able to find a counterexample quickly.

Definition: A real valued function f:X->R defined on a convex set X in a is called convex if, for any two points x_1 and x_2 in X and any t E [0,1],
f(t x_1 + (1-t) x_2) ≤ t f(x_1)+(1-t)f(x_2)

Look at the definition of convex function above, they always have f defined on a "convex set" in the first place, THEN they start talking about convex functions. My question is: why do we always need the domain of f to be a "convex set" in order to talk about a convex function?

Thanks.

kingwinner said:
Definition: A real valued function f:X->R defined on a convex set X in a is called convex if, for any two points x_1 and x_2 in X and any t E [0,1],
f(t x_1 + (1-t) x_2) ≤ t f(x_1)+(1-t)f(x_2)

Look at the definition of convex function above, they always have f defined on a "convex set" in the first place, THEN they start talking about convex functions. My question is: why do we always need the domain of f to be a "convex set" in order to talk about a convex function?

Thanks.

Because [itex]tx_1+(1-t)x_2[/itex] need to lie in the domain of the function f. Otherwise this function is not well defined.

micromass said:
Because [itex]tx_1+(1-t)x_2[/itex] need to lie in the domain of the function f. Otherwise this function is not well defined.

I see, that makes sense. If the domain is not a convex set, then it doesn't even make sense to talk about convex function.

So in general, to prove that a function is convex, we always have to first prove that the domain of the function is a convex set in the first place, is that right?

kingwinner said:
I see, that makes sense. If the domain is not a convex set, then it doesn't even make sense to talk about convex function.

So in general, to prove that a function is convex, we always have to first prove that the domain of the function is a convex set in the first place, is that right?

Indeed!

Related to Convex set and convex functions

What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set of points in a space where, for any two points within the set, the line segment connecting those points lies completely within the set. In other words, if you were to draw a line between any two points in a convex set, all points along that line would also be contained within the set.

What is a convex function?

A convex function is a function where the line connecting any two points on the graph of the function lies above or on the graph itself. In other words, if you were to draw a line between any two points on a convex function, the entire line would be above or on the graph, never dipping below it.

What are some real-life applications of convex sets and convex functions?

Convex sets and convex functions have various real-life applications, such as in economics, where they are used to model preferences and utility functions. They are also used in optimization problems and in machine learning algorithms, such as support vector machines.

How are convex sets and convex functions related?

Convex sets and convex functions are closely related, as a convex function is defined over a convex set. In other words, the domain of a convex function must be a convex set. Additionally, a function can be convex if and only if its epigraph (the set of points above its graph) is a convex set.

What is the difference between a convex set and a convex function?

The main difference between a convex set and a convex function is that a convex set is a collection of points, while a convex function is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two variables. A convex set is a geometric concept, while a convex function is a mathematical concept.