Convex Mirror Image Distance and Magnification

In summary, a patient located 11.9 m from a convex mirror with a radius of curvature of -0.51 m would have an image distance of -0.26 m. The magnification would be approximately 0.021, with the incorrect sign due to a rounding error. Further adjustments may be necessary to achieve the exact correct answer.
nowtrams

Homework Statement

At an intersection of hospital hallways, a convex mirror is mounted high on a wall to help people avoid collisions. The mirror has a radius of curvature of 0.510 m.
-What is the image distance for a patient 11.9 m from the mirror? (Use the correct sign conventions.)
-Determine the magnification.

radius of curvature(R)=-0.51m, so the focal length(f)=-0.255m
(negative because the mirror is convex)

object distance(p)=-11.9m

image distance(q)= ?

Homework Equations

1/p + 1/q = 1/f or 1/q = 1/f - 1/p

M = -(q/p)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/q = 1/(-0.255) - 1/(-11.9)
1/q = -1/0.255 + 1/11.9 = -1370/357

q/1 = -357/1370 = -0.2605839 => q = -0.26m

This problem was for a web assignment. I had 5 chances to get the right answer but I used most of them up by using f = 0.225 (+and -) instead of f= -0.255. The feed back for q = -0.26 was that it was close to the correct answer and probably off due to a rounding error. I double checked my calculations but I came up with the same answer. I tried
M = -(q/p) = -(-0.2605839/-11.9) = -0.02198781
which was the incorrect sign. When I submitted M = +0.02198781 I got the same response as I did for the first answer. I'm sure once I get the right answer for q my answer for M will be fixed, but I don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
. I think my answer for q is correct, but I'm not sure why it's incorrect when the feedback said it was close to the right answer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Related to Convex Mirror Image Distance and Magnification

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a type of spherical mirror that bulges outward in the middle, causing light rays to spread out when reflected. It is also known as a diverging mirror because it causes parallel light rays to spread out in different directions.

2. How does a convex mirror work?

A convex mirror works by reflecting light rays away from the surface of the mirror. The bulging shape of the mirror causes the reflected rays to spread out, making objects appear smaller and farther away than they actually are.

3. What are the uses of a convex mirror?

Convex mirrors are commonly used in security and surveillance systems, as well as in vehicles to provide a wider field of view for the driver. They are also used as side-view mirrors on cars and as decorative elements in home decor.

4. What is the difference between a convex and a concave mirror?

The main difference between a convex and a concave mirror is their shape. A convex mirror bulges outward, while a concave mirror curves inward. Convex mirrors produce virtual, upright, and smaller images, while concave mirrors can produce both real and virtual images, depending on the position of the object.

5. How can I calculate the focal length of a convex mirror?

The focal length of a convex mirror can be calculated using the formula f = R/2, where f is the focal length and R is the radius of curvature. The radius of curvature is the distance between the center of the mirror and the center of curvature, which is twice the focal length.