Converting Voltage to Pressure: A Simple Guide for Engineering Students

• Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a sophomore college student studying Aerospace Engineering and is facing a math problem while conducting an experiment. They need to linearly transform a 1~5 volt scale to a 0~200 bar scale and are seeking help to remember how to do this with pre-calculus equations. The solution involves using the formula P = mV + b, where m and b can be found by plugging in two corresponding points.
!Live_4Ever!
Hey guys, I am a sophomore college student studying Aerospace Engineering and I am doing an experiment, and i ran into a little math problem that i can't seem to visualize properly.

I have a y-axis where which is a measure of pressure (from 0~200 bars), but expressed in voltages (1 to 5 volts).

In order to properly analyze the results, i have to linearly transform the 1~5 volt scale to a 0~200 bar scale.

I know it involves simple pre-calculus (with the y=mx+b) stuff but I just can't remember whatever I did in high school.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula y = mx + b you gave is for a straight line, i.e. a linear dependence. For this application, let me rename y to P (for pressure) and x to V (for voltage): P = m V + b.
What you can do now, is simply plug in two points that you want to correspond. For example, if 1 volt corresponds to 0 bar, set V = 1, P = 0 to get
0 = m 1 + b = m + b
Take another point, for example to let 5 volts correspond to 500 bar, set V = 5, P = 500:
500 = 5m + b.

This gives you two equations from which you can solve m and b (for example, the first one gives you b = -m, plugging that into the second one produces 500 = 5m - m = 4m and then you can find m).

(Note that there are faster ways, such as calculating m = delta P / delta V = (200 - 0) / (5 - 1) = 200 / 4 = 50 and then plugging in one point, but this one is more general).

Related to Converting Voltage to Pressure: A Simple Guide for Engineering Students

1. What is the purpose of "Little math help here?"

"Little math help here" is a platform for students to receive help and guidance with their math-related questions and problems.

2. How can I ask a question on "Little math help here?"

To ask a question, simply click on the "Ask a Question" button and fill out the form with your question and any relevant details.

3. Are there any qualifications for the experts on "Little math help here?"

Yes, all of our experts have a strong background in math and have been thoroughly vetted to ensure their expertise and knowledge.

4. How long does it take to receive an answer on "Little math help here?"

The response time varies depending on the complexity of the question and the availability of our experts. However, we strive to provide timely and accurate responses within 24 hours.

5. Is "Little math help here?" a free service?

Yes, "Little math help here?" is a free service for all students seeking math assistance. We do not charge any fees for asking questions or receiving answers.