Converting Volt to Lux using a solarimeter

• Thread starter Jenkz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lux Volt
In summary, to convert from volts to Lux, use the equation Lux = Volts x (1/sensitivity) and then use a lux-to-watts per meter squared conversion chart. To calculate the number of lumens per watt, use the luminosity function and then divide by the area of the source.
Jenkz

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm trying to use a solarimeter (thermopile) to measure the direct flux of solar radiation, in clear conditions, over varying solar zenith angles. The equipment has an output of volts, but I need to convert this to Lux and then convert this to watts per meter squared.

How can I go about doing this as my light source has a mix of different wavelengths?
I have also read that I can calculate the number of lumens per watt by using the luminosity function, but how could I get Watts per meter squared from this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations N/AThe Attempt at a Solution To convert from volts to Lux, you will need to use the equation Lux = Volts x (1/sensitivity). The sensitivity of your thermopile should be specified in the product specifications. Once you have the Lux measurement, you can then use a lux-to-watts per meter squared conversion chart to get the watts per meter squared. This conversion chart will take into account the different wavelengths of light that are present in the solar spectrum. To calculate the number of lumens per watt (or luminous efficacy), you will need to use the luminosity function. This is defined as the ratio of the luminous flux (in lumens) to the radiant flux (in watts). You can then use this value to calculate watts per meter squared. To do this, you would need to divide the number of lumens per watt by the area of the source (in meters squared). I hope this helps!

Related to Converting Volt to Lux using a solarimeter

1. How do you convert volts to lux?

Converting volts to lux requires the use of a solarimeter, which measures the amount of light in a specific area. The solarimeter will display the voltage reading, which can then be converted to lux using the formula Lux = (Voltage x 683)/100. This formula is based on the calibration factor of the solarimeter and the standard conversion factor for light intensity measurements.

2. Why is it important to convert volts to lux?

Converting volts to lux allows for a more accurate and standardized measurement of light intensity. Lux is the unit of measurement for illuminance, which is the amount of light that is incident on a surface. By converting volts to lux, we can understand the amount of light that is actually reaching a specific area, rather than just the voltage output of a solarimeter.

3. Can any solarimeter be used to convert volts to lux?

No, not all solarimeters are capable of converting volts to lux. It is important to use a solarimeter that is specifically designed for this purpose and has a calibrated conversion factor. Using an incorrect solarimeter or not accounting for the calibration factor can result in inaccurate lux readings.

4. How does the conversion factor affect the accuracy of the lux measurement?

The conversion factor is a crucial component in accurately converting volts to lux. This factor is determined by the sensitivity and calibration of the solarimeter and can vary between different models. Using the correct conversion factor is important for obtaining precise and reliable lux measurements.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the conversion of volts to lux?

Yes, there are some external factors that can affect the conversion of volts to lux. These include the angle of incidence of the light on the solarimeter, the temperature, and humidity. It is important to take these factors into consideration and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the accuracy of the lux measurement.